Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

LG wm2487 no power

Customer Question

LG wm2487 no power
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXX, X will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

The control panel appears as if it hass no power?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

LG wm 2487 will not power on.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Can you give me a minute to look up that model number please Kim
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok I have power to the switch but need to by pass the switch to see if its bad

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Which switch do you mean Kim?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

sorry door switch

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
If the control panel appears to have no power then the problem here is the fuse on the main control board has blown, You can confirm this by pulling the main control board out at checking the fuse with a ohm meter, If as I suspect is reads open then unfortunately the control board will need to be replaced.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Click here to order the replacement control

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

have replaced the control panel still no power

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
The control panel or control board? the door lock would not cause the control panel to appear as if it is dead no power.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the two part unit under the outer front panel

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok Kim thats the user interface control, if you notice from the picture I posted in my last answer the main control is the problem, this is the box that is located under the top of the machine. If you return the control panel you already replaced and check the fuse as indicated you'll see that this is your problem.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

please tell me exactly where this unit is I can't seem to find it

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Its under the top panel, you will see al the wires running to it, this is the part where you will have hooked up the control panel to part A450

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The fuse has continuity. My client says the power on problem was an intermittent problem for about two wks before permanent failure.

We just replaced the interface and still nothing

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok this is definately going to be a electronic issue, since you mentioned this was intermittent before it's very likely either the noise filter or the main control are the problem, after your post I am leaning more toward the noise filter. It's going to be either one or the other.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok I tested the noise filter, I have power in and power out. if that indicated it is good how should I test the main control.

So look we live in the jungle in costa rica parts are NOT us and we need ideas to work with

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
The best thing I can do is give you a service manual, This may not be exactly your model but it should help you with testing the control board.

Click here to download the manual

Other then that it's going to be tough to test anything, Since you have tested the filter, you have replaced the interface the only other part this can be is the main control.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok but I really need your direction and guidance. so whats my next step.

kind of lost at the moment.

It take days just to get a part and I already got the wrong part once. please continue to help

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Your next step as far as I am concerned is to replace the main control since by process of elimination it cant be anything else Kim.

The problem is going to be electronic, if you have confirmed the filter has voltage on the out then there is nothing else it could be, at this stage I would be very confident if I were there replacing the control would fix the problem.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok so we are talking. not to be a hard ass but, if the fuse is good why do you suspect the board is bad.

Also just to appease an old guy, how would I jump the door switch

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Because the control panel is dead, this means although power may be running the board and the fuse may be good a relay is likely bad.

If you look in the service manual I gave you to download you will see the instructions for running the diagnostic program, try to run the diagnostic program. If you cant run the diagnostic program the manufacturer them self will tell you it's a bad control board.

The door lock can be tested but it is made not to be able to be bypassed, You will also see in the manual I supplied how to test the door lock (instructions) although at this point you would really be wasting your time since it would not account for the panel being blank.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

switch test results

2 to 4 --- OL normal =(700-1500)

3 TO 4 ---- 71 normal =(60-90)

4 TO 5...... OL normal (infinity)

does this mean the switch is bad ?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
According to your readings yes but if you look at the wiring schematic above the test points there is nothing there that can interupt the power to the control. Basically Your control would have power the machine just would not go into the cycle.

test the door switch again 2-4 if you get the same reading the door switch is bad.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

2-4 is again OL. this test was done on the table unconnected as explained in the manual.

can I jump the door switch plug to see if the interface will power on?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
As I mentioned earlier the switch is made so it cant be jumped because it's a front load and it is the main safety device.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok you are saying based on my test the switch is bad, but it not the problem. then if that is the case what do i do, what do I replace.

Should I replace the switch 1st since that is the only thing that we can prove is bad, or do I buy all three parts and put one in at a time to see what solves the problem?

Sorry please tell me again, what does the switch controls. in most units it control everything.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
If your measurements are correct replace the door switch, if this fires up the control then I missed something, if it does not fire up the control panel then the main control is the problem.

You don't need 3 parts just try the door switch first.

the door latch first controls the lock solenoid, it has a switch that tells the main control the door is locked and a switch to tell the control the door is open.

Basically it is only there to lock the door and stop it being opened when the machine starts it's cycle, The old top load machines where just a simple switch applying power to the timer when the lid was shut.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

If the door is open, or the power unit thinks the door is open, can I push the interface power button and have it power on? I think no. so it seems that if the test is correct the 1st thing is to replace the switch.

ok we will get the switch and the control board and see if it work. please stand by and we will contact you after we complete this aspect of the project.

thanks for your time to this point and i hope it all works out as planed

Kim

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.

Thanks!

Mike.