Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.

I have a Frigidaire Model #PLHS267ZAB5 Refrigerator/Freezer.

I have a Frigidaire Model #PLHS267ZAB5 Refrigerator/Freezer. About 5 months ago, the refrigerator started getting too cold and freezing everything solid. I replaced the damper assembly, and that did not fix the problem. So, I replaced the control box, and everything started working correctly.

I have had a recurring issue since this time. Every few weeks, the fan motor on the freezer side starts making a grinding noise. When I remove the rear panel on the freezer side, I find ice build up on the fan motor. If i break all the ice off, I'm good for another few weeks. What could be causing the ice to build up on the fan motor?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. This is definitely a defrost issue.now since you replaced the control already we can eliminate that. so that leaves either the defrost thermostat, Defrost Thermostat(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View or the defrost heater.Defrost Heater Assembly(NNN) NNN-NNNN     Main Product View its easier to test the heater, heres a link to a video to show you how. heater test remove all the food from the freezer then the back panel inside. defrost all the frost with a hair dryer then unplug and test the heater. if its good replace the defrost thermostat, heres a link to that . its clipped to the top of the coils in the freezer. thermostat
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the link labeled heater test is a link to a place to by the heater, not a link to a video showing how to test it.

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.

when you click the link and it goes to the heater theres a video link. that says see help video. click that.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes. So, I just need to disconnect the two leads, and measure continuity across it? If it reads open, it's bad?

I was just watching a video on how to replace the defrost heater, and I thought I should mention, there is never any ice on the evaporator. Just the fan. There is also some ice above the fan usually. Is it possible that the ice maker could be leaking down, and freezing on the fan?

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
is it solid ice ? not frost ? if so that's different. there is a tube that puts water into the back of the ice maker, check and see if that tube is frozen or partially frozen.graphicor if the cup is frozen .
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes it is solid ice.
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
ahhhh, that's the problem ! good job. take the hair dryer and defrost it completely. that will take care of it !
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just defrosting it will fix it? I have a 2nd fridge, so I could empty it out, and let it defrost over night.
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
that would work. well when its defrosted totally plug it back in and watch the tube later after it gets cold again and starts making ice, see if theres water dripping after the ice maker fills if it is you may need the ice maker valve.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have defrosted the freezer, and turned it back on for a few hours. I had the ice maker off. I just opened the freezer, held the door button closed, and watched the ice maker dump a batch of ice. How long after that, should the ice maker fill with water again?
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
it is supposed to add water as soon as it dumps the batch of ice and comes around to stop, did it not add water ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, but like I said I had the door open, holding the door button. If it senses it's too warm will it not fill with water?

I suppose I could have just missed it too. It looks like it might be hard to see when the water is coming down the little chute.
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
yes you may have missed it. just stick your pinky finger in the ice maker and see if theres water.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is not. The ice maker was producing plenty of ice before the defrost. The only issue was ice build up on my fan. On the front panel, it has a button that says increased ice production. Should I push this?
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
yeah you can try that, But this may not be cold enough yet either like you said. these can take up to 24 hours to stabilize so by morning I'll bet there will be ice. I would just leave it.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. There's another possibility. I had my water main off, while I did some work to my water heater today. It may need to go through a couple cycles before it gets all the air out if the system.

Also, when I was taking the freezer side apart today, I noticed there was a little "duct" that was out of place. It's supposed to be attached to the rear panel, and directs air from the fan below the ice tray. This had become detached, and was just sitting loose behind the ice bin. There is an opening approximately 5" x 2" in the rear panel where this attaches, and could be how water would leak behind the rear panel and freeze. Does this make sense?
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
yes it can , also the frozen water may have push the vent piece out. there could be air in the lines. like I said by tomorrow I'm pretty sure there will be ice Smile. trust me I do a lot of these . have a great night and please remember to rate me 3 or above before signing off. thanks, Bryan
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,
thanks, Bryan
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have confirmed that water is leaking where the tube that feeds water to the ice maker comes through the rear panel. I have removed the ice maker, is there a way to remove the water tube to see why it is leaking?

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the tube connected to this. grab and twist it back and forth while pulling it out, this comes out the back.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Got it. There are no cracks or blockage in the tube. Could the pressure be too high, causing it to splash over the sides?
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
that may be ,Of course I cant be sure, water pressure is hard to check. was it frozen when you pulled it out ? the tube ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. When I saw it leak, the water appeared to be leaking from between the tube, and the sleeve it comes through. Maybe it's as simple as the line wasn't tight enough to the tube.
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
that's possible don't over tighten it though it can break. I would try that and see if it goes away. that's about all I can think of. thanks and best wishes. Bryan
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there a way to force it to fill the ice maker, so I don't have to listen for it to dump ice?
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
does the ice maker front cover pop off on this ? graphic
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

There was no picture in your last post, but the white plastic square cover does come off.

Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay is it an electronic or mechanical ? this is like an electronic. Control Module W10190935 Main Product Viewbut your probably has the old style power head with a Phillips head screw holding the big gear right ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Correct. Mechanical.
Expert:  Bryan replied 10 months ago.
okay then remove the screw then pull the big gear off, turn the center shaft (the one the big gear was on) clockwise , go around until you hear the water coming in. don't leave it in that spot to long it will overflow but you can get the water to come in that way.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.