Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

my 13 year old Maytag MSD2757AE will periodically (every couple

Customer Question

my 13 year old Maytag MSD2757AE will periodically (every couple months) piss out some water up front, on the freezer side of the double doors. The unit seems to run fine otherwise, keeps proper cold on both sides with both sliders being set at around 3.5 coolness. Any suggestions on remedy? Thanks, John
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you open the freezer door, do you see any water or ice on the floor inside the freezer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

very minor amount of ice, less than an ounce across the entire floor liner, and none up towards the seal.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, well the only reason water would leak out below the freezer is if the water line going to the dispenser was leaking or the drain line was backing up. Since you don't have water on the floor liner, I would replace that coupler on the water line going into the freezer door because it doesn't sound like it's sealing up properly all the time and moving the door might cause it to leak sometimes.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would you kindly provide a photo and/or part #s of the pieces you suggest I change out? Thank you, John

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Below is a link to the part with a picture that I am recommending replacing.

CLICK HERE for part

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lastly, to access this connector, should I let the fridge fully defrost and then pull it out, lay it on it's back to get the connector line (part # XXXXX) off? Would you suggest I also get new lines on both sides of that part?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You can never lay the refrigerator on it's back to start. But you don't really need to do anything but tip the unit back slightly and put wood blocks under the front feet to get enough room to work on. No need to replace the entire water line, you can just cut the water lines back about 1/2 inch and it will make a new seal.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think we'll close to complete....just a few last questions.

- So I do or do not need to defrost the whole unit prior to doing this repair?

- Are you sure I'll have enough clearance to do this repair by just propping the front end up a few inches...is that connector piece visible once the fridge is tipped up slightly?

- Does the manufacturer generally give enough slack to the plastic lines that a 1/2 inch reduction won't make the line too taut?

- Would a sometimes sticking ice door have any involvement with the bottom of the unit? We'll generally reach up and unsnag that ice door when it doesn't close on it's own...but there is no ice build-up in the ice door area (making me think this isn't a major issue.)

Am I able to save this thread (or email it to myself) so I can review later?

Thanks, John

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No, you do not need to defrost the whole unit prior to doing repair.

You can just remove the kick panel without even tipping the refrigerator to access this part if you didn't want to tip it back.

Yes, 1/2" on both side will be fine, but don't cut too much or it will make it taut.

A sticking ice door could cause warm air to get in the freezer and things would melt causing the issue. If that's the case you'd need to fix whatever is causing the ice door to stick.

And yes, there is an Email sent to you to come back after you rate me to review the question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hmm, when you say I don't really need to tilt the unit, is this "kick panel" in the back of the fridge as opposed to underneath in the front? Are you suggesting the wood blocks to prop it up are in the front or back? if the back, that wouldn't seem to make sense, as the water puddles in the front, the left hand side (ice door side) of the unit.

How does that kick panel come off...just a few 1/4 screws or something like that? Once I sign off, I'll go pull the unit out and hopefully what you're telling me makes perfect sense then. Thanks for your help, John

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The kick panel is the panel below the doors on the front of the refrigerator. And you would tilt the refrigerator BACKWARDS so you need to put the block under the front feet.

I couldn't say how the kick panel comes off without being there, but usually you just pull it off or there is a screw on each side you remove and then it pulls off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yup, I just pulled the two plastic end-caps off and see screws on each side to get that plate off. I'll sign out now and see what that area looks like. I may get a couple small clamps to see if that will tack the two plastic ends down better. Thanks for your help. John

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

No problem and good luck.