Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

Kenmore XXXXXXXXXXX top loading washing machine does not work.

Customer Question

Kenmore XXXXXXXXXXX top loading washing machine does not work. Sensor lights up, lid locks, then lid lock starts blinking and machine will not cycle. Automatic test seems to work. Cannot understand error code explanations.

Replaced lid lock so far which made no difference.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me the model number again in this format 110.1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
(NNN) NNN-NNNN2011 top loading
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks for that dave, Can you give me a minute to look the model number up.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Can you lift the lid and try to turn the tub by hand, let me know if it turns freely.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It turns freely.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok Dave, this error code is telling you that the control board has detected a problem with the lid lock, could either be with the switch or the latch, either way the lock assembly will need to be replaced.

Click on the link below to order the part, There is a video that will show you how to replace the lock also, I would bookmark the page.

Click here to order the replacement part

I would like to earn your highest rating Dave, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Replaced the lid lock last week. I will review the video to see if I maybe I did something incorrectly.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok if you already replaced the lid lock and that did not clear the problem then you will need to run the manual Diagnostic program to test each part, This will tell you where the problem is and the corrective actions needed....Do you have the tech sheet for the machine? If not give me a shout and I will see if I can find you a copy. The tech sheet will have the instructions for running the diagnostic program.

Flashing lid lock light indicates a bad lid lock, If the lock didn't fix the problem then it's likely the control board has failed.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Have the diagnostic test forms but don't understand the difference between faults and errors and what to test first?

If it doesn't 'sense' the load I am not sure what to test in the manual process. And I only have a few of the pages. Is the repair manual online?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok dave let me look it up and I will give you a link to download the tech sheet, When you have it I will walk you through the diagnostic program.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

running downstairs to check my lid lock work. Will be back in a few minutes

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok click HERE to download the tech sheet for the machine, When you have it up on your screen or printed get back to me.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have it downloaded.

Ready for more testing.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok first off on page 2 you will see how to put the machine into the diagnostic program by turning the knob, if you have correctly put the machine in diagnostic program all the lights will go on, let me know when you are at that point.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Correction, all the lights will be flashing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

they are flashing

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok with the lights falshing turn the dial until you have the spin - wash complete - and 03 on the display if there is a display.

Once those lights are lit hit the start button
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it's started

lid locked adding water

making the sensing sound with sensing light off.

added more water, know making an electric motor sound

then stopped and lid lock went off. All three still lit wash spin cycle complete

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
It should not have started, this is the manual test cycle. You must have put the machine in the auto test cycle,

Go to page 8 this will tell you which test the machine is on by which lights are lit, if the machine stops at a cetain part the lights will flash and the machine will not continue, will need to know which part of the cycle it stops at and which lights are lit.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

in the manual test mode. Which do I want to test first?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
The lock, once the machine has locked dont hit start because some of the other tests require the lid locked, work down the list of tests, each test will give you a explanation of what should happen, if one of the tests does not work youve found your problem, get back to me with which one fails.
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
How did we make out Dave?
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dave,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

The first manual test I did I thought was for spin and it filled and did not spin.

I thought this service was to talk to an expert so I could be your eyes and use your knowledge directly. Telling me to read the repair manual is right but not useful.

Is there a service that let's me have a conversation? This isn't working for me.

Expert:  Mike replied 9 months ago.
It's eassier dave for you to do the test when you have the tech sheet printed out, I can tell you what I think it is but you have to do the testing, I am here for any questions you have regarding this.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Sheets are printed out. Did you understand my question? I want to talk to the person who's helping me so 1. I convey what's going on. And 2. I do the test right.

You didn't answer my previous question which was when I thought I was doing the spin test the machine started to fill, and didn't spin.

This is not working for me and I am exceptionally frustrated with the process.