John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

main refrigerator stop working

Customer Question

main refrigerator stop working
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Is the refrigerator making any sounds like it is operating at all? If your model has a display, is it showing normal digits?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yeah it sounds like it is operating... it has digit 9 coolest and 0 for warner

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX look in the freezer (even though it may be warm) at the rear lower inside wall, can you find a frosty spot anywhere? Sometimes you have to feel the wall as its difficult to see.

Check to see that the freezer fan is blowing steady air out of the vent in the freezer, is it?

If the freezer fan is operating and you found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freezer go around behind the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. Is the compressor hot, warm or cold and is it vibrating? And have you heard a buzz or click from back there?

Is the fan back there working as well?

Thanks,
Barry

CLICK TO ENLARGE
graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I just opened the back panel and see fan is working

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
The back inside the freezer or the cover around behind the refrigerator?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the freezer fan is operating

I found no frost on the rear inside wall of the freeze

I went to the back the unit and remove the lower panel. Touch the compressor on the top. and found the compressor hot

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Is the fan at the rear beside of the compressor operating as well?

Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is one fan and it's throwing air to compressor

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
That is good, one more question about the compressor. It is possible for a compressor to be hot but not operating. When you felt the heat could you also feel a light vibration like it was operating?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I feel light vibration like it is operating

Expert:  Barry G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is only one thing left to do. Inside the freezer the lower rear wall is a section that comes off. Remove the shelving and the screws from that lower rear wall. Take a look at the coils inside the freezer behind that cover. Are those coils frosted anywhere at all?

Thanks,
Barry