Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I am trying clean the filter in the bottom of my Maytag MDB7100AWB

I am trying clean the filter in the bottom of my Maytag MDB7100AWB dishwasher but don't know how to get the lower spray arm off so I can get to the filter. Can you help?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 12 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this spray arm is a bit tricky to remove. There is a large 2" plastic nut on the top of the wash arm directly in the middle. This nut only has about 1/8" height so it's really difficult to unscrew. You'd need channel locks or something to grip the lip of this nut. Then turn it counter clockwise and unscrew it. Once that nut is removed, then you can just lift the arm up and off.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The plastic nut looks fragile. Is it OK to try channel lock pliers on it?

Yes, that's about the only way you can get grip on it. Just open the channel locks up white and try to get a grip on the small lip on the top.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Now we are down to the plate covering the filter. Do we remove the 6 (star head) screws in order to access the filter? We actually were able to remove the plate by removing the screws.

Now that we have removed the filter, we notice that there is water sitting in the bottom of the dishwasher. Is this normal? The filter is dirty and we are cleaning it now but should we do something else to get rid of the water?---We notice there are bolts below where the filter was.. Do we need to remove them.

Also, looks like we need to clean the top spray jet. How do we access that?

Yes, so the water inside the pump is completely normal. You do not need to remove those bolts below the filter. The water inside the sump is there to prevent the seals from dry rotting so they don't crack and leak.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

We cleaned the filter with a stiff brush but some pores are still filled with what looks like soap. What is a good way to clean it better? Will vinegar or bleach help to dissolve the residue? About 10% of the pores are still plugged.

Yes, you'd want to actually soak that filter in a bowl of very hot water and 50% white vinegar. Then you can scrub it after and it should come clean.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thanks. Should we clean the top water jet as well? If so how do we remove it?

No, there is no reason to clean that unless you see things hanging out of the holes in the wash arm.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I do see deposits coming out of the holes. How do you suggest that we remove the upper spray arm? Thanks

There should be a big plastic nut on the top of the wash arm that you just unscrew to remove the wash arm.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

That worked. Thanks! We are now trying to reassemble and will get back to you if we get stuck in the process.

OK awesome. I'm glad I could help. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

The dishwasher is all put back together and we are running it for a trial now. Thank you soooooo much. What we really appreciated in addition to your expert advice was how timely you were in getting back to us. We will definitely plan on contacting you for our appliance questions again. Have a good day!

No problem and I'm glad I could help!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.