Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.

We have a Maytag Model MFC 2061 HEW Cabinet Depth French Door

We have a Maytag Model MFC 2061 HEW Cabinet Depth French Door refrigerator with freezer under. We have a constant problem with water freezing in the reservoir for the inside water dispenser AND food freezing not just in the crispers but also in the top shelves of the fridge. I have thawed the water reservoir numerous times and the problem always comes back. Within in first year of use (now six years ago) I removed the filter b/c it constantly froze; I installed the bypass, as we have state-of-art whole-house water filer anyway. The last service technician told us to re-arrange the food in the fridge, to leave the sides free and clear. We have never been told to do that for any product, and find this suggestion absurd. Could you please give us some advice before our next service visit? We want to be armed with correct information.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Please give me a few minutes to look at the diagrams for your model.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Will you reply via our email address?

I can only reply here on this page. You can save this page to your favorites/bookmarks.

At the top rear of the fresh food section near the ceiling but on the rear wall is the vent. First feel the front of the vent. Can you feel light air flow in the front?

Then feel around the sides up next to the wall. Can you feel air seeping out around the edges of that area?

Thank you,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, there is a flow of air coming out of the vent in the top rear. There also seems to be air circulating up the sides, but, of course, there is food on the various shelves. Have the fresh food temp set at 40 degrees, by the way. Some items- most recently sour cream, have frozen solid on the top shelf; tried of ruined food! And what about the frozen reservoir?

Cold air falls down and if it is seeping around the vent there like I suspect it is then some of it would fall right down to the tank freezing the water. One last thing I need to ask. Does the temperature show accurately do you think in your opinion? If it is freezing on the top shelf it should be showing an actual temperature on the display that is below freezing, if your display shows degrees.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

That is a good question. I do not know where the fresh food thermostat is located, but the electronic display reads 40 degrees for the fresh food, even though things are freezing. Freezer (working fine) shows zero degrees.

I understand. Give me a few minutes to upload a diagram for you and explain what to do.

Thank you,
Barry
Click the link below and when you get to the page there scroll down. You will see a diagram there and if the image is too big there is a minus button to the top right of the image. Click that and it will get smaller.

CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE

The parts I have arrowed there are the parts at the top rear where that vent is. How that works is when your refrigerator fresh food section reaches the correct temperature the part that is arrowed blue closes just like a door. That is supposed to stop the cold air from coming in. What I have seen is a lot of these the door is closing like it should but the air continues to seep in around the foam which is arrowed green and freezing everything in the fresh food section.

What you can do is remove that vent cover which is arrowed red. To remove the vent use a small screw driver or a butter knife and unsnap the vent across the bottom. There are 3 areas snapped in. To the right, the center and the left along the bottom. Remove that part. Then check the screws there behind that vent cover and make sure those are tight. I think you will find them loose or the foam part that they hold loose.

If you find that not to be the case take a look at the part arrowed blue. That is the small door that is supposed to shut. There may be a spring on that door that has come loose, or you may be able to see that door is broken or frozen in place. Sometimes a little ice will build and cause that door to stick open.

I am thinking you will find one of these things wrong. If it happens that you do not please do not give me a bad rating. Use the reply to expert button and let me know so we may continue.

Thank you,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I put a kitchen/cooking thermometer near the top of the fridge, and it is registering very close to freezing. I will now do the exploratory surgery you recommend, and see what I can find. At least we will be well-informed when we have a service call.

I have seen that often in your style of refrigerator. This may not be the only cause but it is the most likely by far.

Like I say if you find nothing there let me know and I will most certainly continue on until the source of the problem is found.

You and your family have a nice rest of the Labor day weekend.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX here is what I discovered. I removed the cover to the upper unit; found the screws tight, and the flap open. Could not move the flap. Removed the screws, second cover, and foam. Seems to be a thermocouple? (something electric, anyway) that controls a circular stop for the flap that seems like it would rotate to let the flap close. It is in the open position, thus the flap cannot close, and there is a constant stream of cold air. What do you now suggest? Is the fault with the thermocouple and motor that rotates the stop? Is that what we should tell the service technician before they come?

Give me a few minutes, leave that cover off. I need to look and see if that part can be activated from the control.

Thanks,
Barry
I found it, give me a few to get it scanned and uploaded. That way you can see what I am explaining.

Barry
Click the link below and run "Service Test" 121. Does that small door open and close when you run that test? Please take your time.

CLICK HERE FOR FILE

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Barry- I could not get the display to scroll through the various test numbers. One difficulty is that the directions say to press and hold the fridge "up" button; it never says to release it, and then it says to release the door alarm button, wait three seconds and again press the fridge up button, but where/when does it say to release it???? Also, while I was attempting to do all of this, the damper motor turned on and the damper opened...it must have closed at some point while I was online with you. So, where do we go from here?

Are we at the "better let an expert look at it stage?"

Not yet. You did see the damper move either open or closed. I am understanding that correctly? If so then that is all I need to know to proceed, just that the damper does move. Just verify for me.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes, Barry. I watched it open and close in front of my very eyes!

Okay that leaves only the temperature sensor if there is no air leak around the vent there. The sensor is bad. There are 3 parts that control that door. The motor which is good, you saw that door move so that rules out the motor and the main control board. The only thing left that can be bad is the temperature sensor.

This part is inside of the control panel there where you adjust the temperature. It is a part that is wired and you cut the wires to get it out then splice in the new wires for the sensor. If you feel comfortable splicing I will gladly help you do that. If not then you should call a tech and let him/her do that work.

Thanks,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.