Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a Kenmore HE 2 plus washer. When I try to wash a load

I have a Kenmore HE 2 plus washer.
When I try to wash a load of clothes:
1. load the washer
2. turn on power
3. select cycle
4. Press start.
The door lock clicks shut, the door locked light comes on an then several seconds later the door light clicks off and the door unlocks.
After several tries the door keeps unlocking.
I than ran the diagnostic test and I get an error F/24.
Than the washer continues diagnostic and runs thru all the cycles, the door locks it continues to run thru all cycles and when complete it stops and the door lock opens.
When I then try to run the washer for a regular wash cycle the same thing happens with the door lock and light.
Any suggestions?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me a moment to look that up please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do I need to replace the door locking unit?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No the meaning of the F24 error code and the corrective actions are listed below.

F24 WATER TEMPERATURE SENSOR

ERROR

If the water temperature sensor (NTC) value is out of range (23°F to 217°F[-5°C to 103°C]) during the water-heating step of the WASH cycle.

NOTE:

To find correct Ohm reading refer to the Water Temperature Sensor section.
1. Unplug washer or disconnect power.

2. Check the water temperature sensor and connection to it.

3. Check resistance of heating element, if present on this model. (abnormal = infinity)

4. Refer to the Water Temperature Sensor section.

Basically the problem here is the temp sensor, This is located at the front of the machine right next to the heater, It can be accessed by removing the panel under the door. Once the panel is off you should see the heater at the bottom of the tub and the sensor right there also.

The reason for the door unlocking is because the machine is going into a fault condition.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure I have it located.

Is it the small white unit attached to the top of the large drain plug unit which faces to the front lower access panel?. Does it have two black wires connected? There is a larger white unit further back along the right side. Is the water temperature unit replaceable? Is it adjustable?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Let me see if I can find a picture. Give me a moment.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Actually I apologize, in this model the temp sensor is located in the rear along with the heater. You would need to pull the unit out from the wall and take the panel off in the rear.

graphic

If you can give me the full model number from the sticker around the door I can give you a link to the part, to pull the sensor out disconnect the wires then simply pull it out from the rubber grommet.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

model # XXXXX

ser# HLT2114553

type 832

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok click on the link below to order the temp sensor.

Click here

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Mike,

Thanks for your help.....

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome

Thank you for the positive rating. It was my pleasure helping you today. Please get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions :)

Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I ordered the part. It will be here next wed. I will let you know if I have any trouble.

Expert:  Mike replied 12 months ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Mike,

Up and running, thanks again

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Your welcome :)