Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

I have had Kenmore dryer for the last 24 years and it has worked

I have had Kenmore dryer for the last 24 years and it has worked flawlessly. I set it on the "more dry" setting, push the button and it works every time. Today, by accident, something fell out of my hand and pushed the big dial while the dryer was running. It pushed it to "off", caused it to stop and now it will not restart (I do my usual setting, push the button, and nothing. What could have happened? Thank you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

check the door switch and check the power source. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No issue with power source. What's a door switch?
When you close the door there is a actuator lever in the upper right hand corner of the door. See if it is broken off or press it in to see if it is clicking. Also do you have the model number off the machine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it. Nothing's wrong with the door switch. The model number is XXXXX 78721. Thanks
The model number should be 110.XXXXXXXX something like that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's XXXXXXXXXXX
Unfortunately the site only shows me XXXXXXX...you will need to put a space betwwen each number otherwise I will not be able to see it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
110 8 7 8 7 2 1 0 0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
Have not heard back since yesterday, am thinking the original person has a Sunday off, but I would like to continue with a solution. Thanks
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay I'm back , Do you have a volt meter ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I do not
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay that's okay we can bypass it. I think your thermal fuse blew. Thermal Fuse(NNN) NNN-NNNNMain Product View what you need to do is unplug the dryer and take the rear panel off. on the left side looking from behind you will see the thermal fuse mounted on the blower assembly. number 39 on this diagram. take the two wires off and hook them together and tape them so they don't touch anything, then try the dryer. does it start ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will try that, but will probably need a bit of time, as this requires pulling the machine away from the wall , etc. thank you
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay no problem, I will be around. I believe the thermal fuse has blow, Its very common. if it is you can order it at this link. , thermal fuse its a little over $12.00 . thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has not happened in the 24 yrs I've had the machine? Was it the quick turn that the dial made while running?
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yeah if the dial (timer) did a quick jerk of power it can blow. And being that its 24 years old they get weaker over time so that probably didn't help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Bryan. 😊
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I was wondering if you were able to get your machine going. If you still need help please let me know, thanks. Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does not look like you received what I had written, Bryan. Just as I was dismantling the dryer, I double checked the breaker and indeed, I overlooked one that was off. It is totally my oversight, and since this is the very first time I had used this service, I do not know how to proceed. You had been incredibly helpful with your assistance and I thank you.
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
No I never did see that, there must have been a glitch, I'm so glad you found the issue. I didn't ask about that at first because the first tech did so I went on to other causes, thanks and have a great Labor day, Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same to you, Bryan! And thanks again
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
your very welcome.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.