Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have Thermador SM272 Microwave and Built-In Oven. Start

Customer Question

We have Thermador SM272 Microwave and Built-In Oven. Start Button stopped working. All of the numbers on a display work normally. Clock is showing the right time. Time selectors work fine. The message says "PRESS START BUTTON"; but nothing happens when it's pressed, no beep, no start. Please help.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So unfortunately you may have already suspected this, but if the start button won't even beep when you press it, then your touchpad has failed. You can't replace just the start button I'm afraid, the entire touchpad would need to be replaced. Now the touchpad is normally about $300 I want to warn you and of course that is not something I can control any more than you can. But there are several different colors for this model so you'll want to have the full model number in hand and call with that model number. They can look up the correct part for your model with the correct color. I'm sorry this is happening to you on a holiday weekend, but I hope that you can enjoy the holiday regardless.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Every other button on a touchpad seems to be working fine. Something is not right.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
Aye. Unfortunately buttons fail independently. That's just how touchpads fail.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, that's not much help, is it. I'd like my money back. Please and thanks.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 years ago.
I'm not sure why you have me a bad rating. I can't control how your appliance fails.