Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

In the wash cycle, our washer will agitate and let the water

In the wash cycle, our washer will agitate and let the water out, but in the rinse cycle the tub will not spin, even though it sounds like it is spinning and will let the water out.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? Also, are you certain it's agitating or does it just sound like it's agitating?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The model no. is MAV7000AWW.

I believe the washer is agitating. I think I heard the clothes swishing, but I am not positive now as the last time I washed clothes was about a week ago.

OK so this particular model has a very simple design. The only difference between wash and spin is that the motor goes the opposite direction. This will cause the pump to drain the water out instead of recirculating it as well. You know the motor is reversing because the drain pump drains the water out. You also know the belt below the washer is moving since the pump drains the water out. Unfortunately that means that your transmission itself is bad because the transmission pulley is moving (or else the belt wouldn't move), but the tub doesn't turn. The transmission is a $350 part to replace so it's definitely not a cheap repair at all I'm afraid and not something you can do yourself because it require specialty brake tools as well as a specialty hub tool to remove the inner basket.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!