FixAll
FixAll, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I currently work for one of the largest appliance repair services in the country. I service laundry and kitchen
68072958

I have a GE true Temp double wall oven. Last weekend, I turned

Customer Question

I have a GE true Temp double wall oven. Last weekend, I turned on the not-often-used lower oven. It very quickly burned what I put in there and would not turn off. The only way I could get it to go off was to throw the switch at the breaker. It got so hot that it turned the gasket brittle and it is ruined. I removed both of the elements so that I could continue to use the upper stove. The light for the lower unit remains "on" even though the dial is set to off and the heating elements are still removed. I have the control panel front taken off of the unit at this moment, but I am not sure what I should be looking for. One thing I have found is that there be a fused relay? Just not sure if this is something I can fix myself or if I need to call in a repair person. Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.

Hi thanks for choosing just answer, do you happen to have a model number or age of unit or both?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sure - it is 13 years old, I found a technical data sheet inside the control panel area that says "model numbers JTP27BA, JT27WA" Is this what you need?

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.

Ok you have a shorted relay on your control board, you would need to replace the board, I would need exact model number to get you a part number but that will fix it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me where to locate that number? They sure make it a lot easier to find in your refrigerator than in your oven!

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
If you open the door usually its just under the opening for the oven down kinda behind the door.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On the wide white ribbon that connects to the control panel, it says "JTP27B". I DO see a silver sticker with information on it behind the lower door - unfortunately - it is not very legible, likely due to the temperature issue...I CAN make out JTP27B on this as well, but it looks like there are 4 digits after that. Is this at all helpful?

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.

The 4 digits is what I'm looking for any guesses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ummm...?A2B? (5 digits?) Does that help?

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
Ok the part # XXXXX need is WB27T10065, you can buy it at www.repairclinic.com it should supersede to a newer part # XXXXX they can do that for you. Let me know if you need further help. Please don't forget to rate my service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it a very difficult repair? Or is it something that someone with a reasonable amount of mechanical aptitude could do? Also, could you direct me to the lower gasket part that I would need to replace the damaged one? By the way, when they tell you to turn the breaker off on these before working on them - they arent kidding!!!

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
Haha yes you will get shocked if you don't the lower gasket is WB32K5044, if you have the control panel off that's 90% of the work you just unplug the board one wire at a time and reinstall to new one, and just a few screws holding it in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I found a reconditioned one for half the price - do you think its worth it?

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
The board or gasket? If its the board depends if they offer any warranty the new one will usually come with one year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It has a 6 month warranty - $100 instead of $200 - what would you do?

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
They usually test them I would say that would be ok, if it last 6 months it should be fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks much for your help!

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
No problem, have a good day!
FixAll, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I currently work for one of the largest appliance repair services in the country. I service laundry and kitchen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HI - so, I replaced the control panel, and I am still having the same problem...any other suggestions?

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
Its still heating up on its own just the bake element or both?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not reinstalled the elements to see if it was heating up, but I can do that if it would provide helpful information. I am just assuming that it is still a problem as the red indicator light is on as it was prior to the install of the new control panel. Should I do that and get back to you?

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
No I am sorry for some reason I thought you were talking about upper oven, I misread that after going over again I see your saying lower, this is my fault, to fix this you would need a thermostat, and its a bit more difficult to install than a board.
Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to return the board no problem but I believe you have to remove from wall to change that thermostat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you give me the part number for the thermostat? Is that that "spike" that pokes out? There is one in the top oven and a bar that is sideways (flush along the back oven wall) in the bottom one. So, you don't think that it is the assembly behind the knob for the lower oven itself?

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
  • Its both that's why its hard the spike has a little tiny metal tube runs up the back of oven and connects behind knob, once oven is out its easy just need to remove oven part # is WB20T10001, I am sorry for original confusion.
Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
The knob controls bottom oven correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - I Think that makes sense from the part I am looking at. I think I'll leave the new control board in...after all it is kind of a major part of what can go wrong. I understand that it is difficult to diagnose without looking at it, and I figure I'm still ahead of calling in a repairperson (IT would have cost me the $100 just to get them here). On a scale of 1-10, 10 being difficult, how tough would you say the thermostat repair is? Ill probably look for it on utube.

Expert:  FixAll replied 1 year ago.
Well removing from wall is just physically tasking actually putting it in is not too bad you just gotta take back panel off but including removing from wall probably a 7, but if you got 2 strong guys it can be lifted out, there's only like 4 screws holding it in.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks - we completed this repair over the weekend and my oven is now working!! Unfortunately, I broke the housing on the indicator light - but that should be pretty inexpensive and easy to replace - in the end, after replacing all these parts...my stove will be like brand new! :)

Expert:  FixAll replied 11 months ago.
I'm glad you got it going! If you have any other questions let me know.