Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Barry, i do have one more problem with the ice maker inside

Barry, i do have one more problem with the ice maker inside freezer, it builds up ice in the front left side where the on off indicater box at the bottom onto and it bonds to the tray rail seems maybe a leak o ring or something?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Barry G. replied 12 months ago.

Is this inside of the freezer door or outside of the freezer door Carl? Is that up in the freezer where the ice bin sits? That rail?

Thanks, Barry

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

yes inside where the bin sits is ther a water feed rt there thats why i'm thinking o ring?

If you looked at your ice cubes inside of your ice tray is that ice tray really full? The mold part. Can you find cubes in the ice bin that are attached to each other as if they came out of the mold that way? There is not an o-ring but I have some good idea of what is happening.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

acually now that i took a good look its building up both ends now at front and back of the bin cube's seem to be comming out okay in the middle

Carl give me a few minutes to type this out.

Barry
There are a couple of possible causes. First turn off the ice maker so it gets good and cold. Then in a couple of hours go turn it on. You may have to hold the freezer door light switch so it is off because some ice makers will not move with the door open. There is an interlock on some.

Anyway watch the ice maker cycle all the way around, when it starts filling have a flashlight shining in there and watch for splashes. If you see water splashing out of the ice maker you will need to take it out. Look and see if the teflon is peeling out of the mold. If it is the only real way to repair is to replace the ice maker. That teflon if it is peeling will redirect some of the water out of the mold if it is in the right place.

If you do not see that then what is happening is the water inlet valve is letting water in slowly when it should be shut off. This can over fill the ice maker and cause it to spill out at times, especially when the ice bin is full and the ice maker is not dumping, just sitting there. The repair is to replace the water inlet valve at the back. It is blue and is the first place your homes water supply connects to on the back lower section of the refrigerator.

The third thing to check is that tube behind the ice maker. Reach in there and see if you can turn that tube. If it turns easily. If it does just give it a push. It simply pushes onto the part inside of the freezer wall. Nothing more holds it other than a tight fit.

Please ask if you have any questions Carl.

Thank you,
Barry
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.