Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

My GE PDW 8600 dishwasher has finished its cycle, but the

Customer Question

My GE PDW 8600 dishwasher has finished it's cycle, but the door won't open. How can I open the door?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

Jon :

hello

Jon :

my name is XXXXX XXXXX i am an authorized ge service technician and i can help you today.

Jon :

please give me one moment to look up your model dishwasher. be right back

Jon :

I need to know the last few digits of the model number to get you exact parts info, should you need any?

Jon :

the last few digits should be something like j0ww. can you please try to tell me the last few digits of the model if you have it written down anywhere? otherwise, we may not be able to know the exact model you have without getting the door open. since the model and serial numbers are inside the machine.

Jon :

so if the dishwasher has completed its cycle and it will not open then there could be a few issues. First is the door lock/latch assembly.

Jon :

the latch and lock could have shorted out during the wash cycle and is now stuck in the closed position. This would be extremely unfortunate for you as for the only way to get the door open is to pry it open as best as you can with either a thin putty knife of flat screwdriver. And when you try to do this be very careful not to damage other parts of the console.

Jon :

second, would be the computer that controls the power being sent to the lacth. If the computer shorted out during the wash cycle and power has seized to the latch, and has stopped while in a lock posiiton, then the door again, will remain closed.

Jon :

usually you can reset the computer by flipping off the circuit breaker to the machine for ten minutes then turning it back on again. and with power on pull gently on the door to see if the latch has unlocked. if it hasn't, then I am afraid that you will have to pry open the door.

Jon :

let me also point out on your model dishwasher there might be a handle just under the latch. and if your model has a handle it most likely has an actuator as well. and if the handle has either broken or come loose then the handle may not be unlocking the actuator that keeps the door closed.

Jon :

so if you have a model that has the handle just under the latch in the top part of the door, try to move the handle around until it unlocks the door.

Jon :

if that doesnt open the door then again, you will need to pry the door open.

Jon :

if this machine is under a year old please dont do anything i say above as for it is still under warranty. and any work performed on this machine by some one not authorized by GE could void the warranty.

Jon :

if the machine is under the year call GE and they will send someone out to you to fix it for free.

Jon :

if machine is not under a year old and not under warranty then please go ahead and try what I have told you to try and get back to me here

Jon :

Thanks

Customer:

Finally pried the door open. Service was okay, I guess.

Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Dan,

I am glad that you managed to get the door opened to the dishwasher. And thank you for the positive rating. It is greatly appreciated. I am sorry for the primitive help here. But for your dishwasher there is nothing else that you could've done.

With the door opened please look at the latch and lock and make sure there is no damage. And also make sure you look at the handle portion of the lock for damage as well. If no damage then you should be good to go ahead and use the dishwasher as normal. But if you see that the latch is not functioning properly or if the handle or any component to the door lock and handle look damaged in any way, please just replace the door lock assembly.

If you have the full model number with the door opened now please repost it here so that I may be able to get you the part info and have you order it cheaply on line.

Please get back to me here with any other questions or concerns that you might have and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.