Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

i have a samsung over the range micro model SMH9187ST, the

i have a samsung over the range micro model SMH9187ST, the door stopped latching and i found out the small plastic tab on the door key broke so that the spring was no longer attached. i was able to carefully drill a small hole in the plastic right next to where the tab was and reattach the spring, works like a charm. about one week later the microwave fan and light would stay on after opening the door. i don't know if it is related or just a new problem. any help would be greatly appreciated from a handy father of four w limited funds for service calls.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

The problem here is going to be the door latch switch, there should be two of them behind the door lock assembly.

To get to the door switches take the grill out from over the door, this will reveal the screw holding the control panel in place. Drop the control panel out then you will see the switches right behind the latch assembly, Test the switches with a ohm meter for operation to determine which switch is bad.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

how do i remove the grill, i assume u mean the panel that goes accross the entire front of the micro above the door.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Yes, The grill either has a couple of screws in the vent itself or if you look on top of the chassis will have 3 screws around the out side.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

i have the grill off and the control panel exposed. there appears to be a switch at the top latch and what looks like two switches by the bottom latch. is this correct?

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
That is correct, make sure you have the unit shut off, sometimes the switches will come out on thier own, some times the whole assembly needs to come out.

Thank you for the positive rating. It was my pleasure helping you today. Please get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions :)

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

i have the whole assembly out now. how do i test to see which switch is bad?

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Without a wiring schematic I could not tell you, You would need to test each one with a ohm meter.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

i mean do the switches need to have a certain amount of resistance or just continuity? if it needs resistance then what should the meter read?

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
No just set the meter to continuity, put the probes on the terminal, test for continuity, then press the switch and test for continuity, if you have one switch that reads open in both positions thats the bad switch.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

thank u i will do that and let u know the results.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

well i thought u were going to be right on the money, but both door switches read open then closed after pushing the button. the third switch reads exactly opposite closed then open after hitting the button, then i realized that is not a door switch it is prob for the light. am i wrong with that idea or is that truely a bad door switch?

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Depends on if it is a normally open or normally closed switch, I would have to say from what you have told me the switches are fine in which case the control board would have to be bad.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

well i appreciate ur help but this is a wild goose chase now, i followed evrything u said to the switches but they arent bad it could be numerous things from here not just automatically the control board. thank you for ur help.

Expert:  Mike replied 7 months ago.
Actually I was just about to post again after thinking about it, if the light and fan are not turning off then the door strike must not be activating or making correct contact to the switch.