Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a frigidaire galaxy refrigerator. Since summer of 2011

I have a frigidaire galaxy refrigerator. Since summer of 2011 I have replaced the water filter 2x but it has never shown yellow or red. Is it not functioning. I am concerned that I am not getting the filtered water I am depending on.
Thanks
Bobbi Smith
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So your filter is working if water flows through the dispenser when you have the filter installed. Let me explain how that filter light works. It has no way of knowing if your filter is old or if you have replaced it or if it's getting clogged. The display board literally has a timer built into the board and after 6 months the light should turn yellow, then 1 month later turn red. It sounds like your display board is just not functioning properly as far as timing the filter replacement to remind you when to replace the filter. Now you could replace the display board, but that would cost $150 or so just for the part. The other option is just to remember to replace the filter every 6 months to a year.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the amount of use has no bearing on the filter? I thought possibly since I am the only user it just lasts longer.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
That is correct, the amount of use has absolutely no bearing on when that light comes on. The amount of use does determine when you should replace the filter however. If you don't use it very much, then you can replace it yearly---but you don't want to go over 1 year because the filter itself can start to break down.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.