Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.

Quiet series 200 washing machine model no. Mav4757aww. My washer

Quiet series 200 washing machine model no. Mav4757aww. My washer s making screeching noise when it agitates but not during spin cycle. My husband can fix any motor pretty much and after looking at it, replacing belt etc e said it looks like the tub is slipping. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Can you see if the agitator is moving back and forth normally when it is screeching?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it does. He was checking that per the repair manual when he noticed the tub slipping. No idea if one has anything to do with other.
If the tub is slipping or it seems that it is and screeching there is a very good possibility that the main transmission gear is stripped. This will cause the slipping that he is seeing and an awful screeching noise when it goes to agitate. That was very common on that machine especially if you may have had a large load in it right before it happened. The gear teeth strip out causing the issue. In my opinion it would not be worth repairing as the parts are very expensive and the job is very labor intensive. You would be better off purchasing a new machine.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. May I continue to use it until it is replaced (ear plugs are great!)? Since you obviously know washing machines quite well are you able to recom mend a good top load replacement?
Yes you can use the machine. I would recommend the Amana top loader. Ask for the belt driven model.