Repairman1981
Repairman1981, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands

my fisher paykel QWL15 has error light 6 orange and doesnt seem to be spinning right help

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Repairman1981 replied 10 months ago.

Repairman1981 :

Can you be specific as to which cycle lights are on ... they add up to an error code. I need to know specifically which ones are lit so I can help

Customer:

just light 6

Customer:

sorry model is GWL15

Repairman1981 :

np .. just a min

Repairman1981 :

so lets' be clear, on the cycle section there are 5 lights and 3 by themselves ... your talking about the first rinse light correct? basically from the left light 6 is the only one on?

Customer:

yes

Repairman1981 :

If that's the light .... there isn't a fault code for that ... it goes from 3 to 11 .... that would be a 4

Repairman1981 :

Can you post a picture of the lights? I'm thinking it might just be stuck at rinse. If not then we can enter diagnostic mode and diagnose from there

Customer:

yes if you need it but the only other light that is on though is the low on water leavel

Repairman1981 :

ok ... do this ... power it off.

Repairman1981 :

Press wash temp down and while holding it press power

Repairman1981 :

once you do it will beep weirdly and it will be in diagnostic mode

Repairman1981 :

press the regular wash button (this will turn the drain pump on) see if it sounds normal and drains correctly

Customer:

to me it sounds like the motor to the spin mode is runing but the tub is not

Repairman1981 :

If all sounds well, then press it again to turn the pump off

Repairman1981 :

It's probably the drain pump, if the motor moves the tub does to ... if the tub doesn't move (ie motor doesn't) it either throws a very different code or it blows the board and won't power on. .... the joys of direct drive. But the whole time it's spinning the pump is mostly what you hear. So something in the pump or a bad pump is 1000times more likely

Customer:

but the thing we just did the pumping water soudde good the spin part when it was in cycle earlier never spead up like normal

Repairman1981 :

So the drain pump sounds good .... but the tub wouldn't spin fast enough earlier? If that's the case the easiest way to test the tub is press power. Turn it off, then press power and press the right arrow (cycle advance) to just the final red spin light and let it spin. Report what happens

Customer:

i hear what sounds like a motor speeding up but i can tell the tub is not is ther a way to do this wit the lid up so i can see for sure

Repairman1981 :

no, the easiest way to do this is to take the screws out (under the rubber things each side under the lid) and lift the whole top deck. Don't let it fill while this is lifted or it will spray you

Customer:

it is pinning first kind of slow but it did speed up

Repairman1981 :

if the motor can move at all .... it can move fully ... the only exception would be if something is rubbing on the drum from underneath. But you would hear that

Customer:

no strange sound but he cloths had a grey film on them and were still a bit wetter than normal

Repairman1981 :

that is left over soap from no rinse, and not spinning fully. It likely was beeping due to and out of balanced load. Let the spin cycle run and see if it reaches top speed. If it does not remove the clothes and try again

Customer:

we did have a beeping of the first rince light thing five fast beeps said somthing about too much soap not possible but it did that earlier

Customer:

we did a rince only to see if it fixed it but no change

Repairman1981 :

ohhh I forgot all about "user errors" it's a different type of beeping but that is likely what you heard since the 1st rinse light isn't an actual code. If it's draining fine during diagnostics your probably fine. I'm gonna have you check one more thing before I recommend running an empty load to check the functionality.

Repairman1981 :

Lean the machine back at a 45 degree angle, and see if the drain pump front right of the tub has any rust, moisture, or water on it.

Customer:

there was some white film but no real rust or water i had some sqeeling of the pump about six months ago and pulled it an lithium greased it and no more sqeeling and the impeller fan blade seams to spin freely

Repairman1981 :

the film would concern me .... the squeeling before is usually the seal failing ... the white film is likely a drop or two during spin of water getting on it and evaporating

Customer:

there is actualy a little lint in the fan so dont think it has been too wet

Repairman1981 :

white film (unless added by you with the lithium grease) should not be there ..... that pump will be the first thing to fail on your machine and if your wrong about leaking you will be buying a 200.00 board along with it. But I'm not there to see it so if your CERTAIN we can move past the pump issue.

Repairman1981 :

Run a load empty. It was likely just the load out of balance or a similar issue if it drains and will spin

Customer:

so if the pump fails it can take out the board

Repairman1981 :

yep ... and it will .... water gets on that coil there, shorts, blows the board. Machine won't power on, and you go from a 120.00 repair to a 320 repair .... that's why I'm so cautious with the pumps. I have blown them testing them. Fortunately a lot of the time they get noisy or stop spinning before that happens. But if you have already heard squeeling the bearing is/has failed .... so

Customer:

i took a picture of the pump how do i get i to you

Repairman1981 :

click the little paperclip and post it

Customer:

the image says its too large i am going to crop it

Repairman1981 :

k

Repairman1981 :

any luck? ..... also any chance we can pick this up in the AM? O

Repairman1981 :

It's 1:45 here and I'm really needing to get some shut eye

Customer:

wont change size by cropping can i text it to you

Repairman1981 :

I doubt there is another fisher paykel tech on here at this hour though

Repairman1981 :

615 shhwhw 305 hwsshsh 6784

Repairman1981 :

remove the letters ... I have to do that so it doesn't X them out

Customer:

got it

Repairman1981 :

not supposed to trade any personal information like that ....

Repairman1981 :

whatever speeds the process up though :)

Repairman1981 :

send it yet?

Customer:

yes i can see the rust more in the picture than i could just looking undernieth

Repairman1981 :

if you have ANY rust replace that pump

Repairman1981 :

for sure

Repairman1981 :

479595 is the part number

Repairman1981 :

call them and buy directly they are the cheapest place. You see how easy it is to put on. It's likely shutting down from over heating (the bearing) and that is the hold up in rinse

Repairman1981 :

it will affect spin as well

Customer:

how do you think is the fastest way to get it my wife is going to be on my back daily yes i have had it off before when i greased it just spins off

Repairman1981 :

Since you could blow the board, I can't recommend using it. Where are you located? city state

Customer:

ogden utah 84067

Customer:

i wont use it even if she has to go to her mothers for a week

Repairman1981 :

I wouldn't know .... I know fisher paykel ships from skylab California ... I would say 2 days max to you ... so wednesday

Repairman1981 :

ships Tuesday you might can have them use fedex and ship tomorrow ... I think they overnight for 30 .... so? Saves a day

Repairman1981 :

There's a stocking dealer here in Nashville, tn .... that's where I get them. I could go get one tomorrow, but with the holiday Monday even with overnight shipping your still talking Tuesday ... just buy from them and get it wednesday

Customer:

thanks well worth the 30 dollars if i want to use you again is there a way to request you ?

Repairman1981 :

Just post my name and a moderator will message me even if I don't see it. I'm on here evenings a lot. I run a repair business so middle of the day I am not on here (I work 6 10 hour days) so

Repairman1981 :

Lemme know if you need anything else after you replace the pump

Repairman1981 :

I'm 99% sure that is ALL you have going on .... but if there are any more bugs return to this same question and there is NO additional charge

Customer:

thanks

Repairman1981 :

Have a good rest of your evening. I'm gonna get some shut eye. Have a good labor day also. Thanks!

Experience: 7 years Repairing Appliances, Factory Trained in Several Major Brands