Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

What could cause my centennial washer to not start a cycle

What could cause my centennial washer to not start a cycle?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Do you have a model number so that I can better assist you? It should be located under the lid down near the hinges. Also, does the washer fill up with water or drain and spin or do anything?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK perfect, thank you for the model number. So are you saying that the washer won't fill or do anything? It just starts flashing the sensing and lid lock light after a you try to start the washer?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it will make it sounds like normal to start, then the motor will kick on for just a second and stop then the lights start flashing.

This is a common issue where the actuator fails and the lid will lock and unlock but since the actuator won't go to the correct position it stops the washer from advancing so it will not start to fill with water and it keeps waiting and sensing. The actuator motor is located below the tub. To access this part, you need to unplug the washer, tip the washer backwards, and remove the 2 screws going into the plastic cover near the back left corner. That will allow you to access the motor and the actuator to the right of the motor. Remove the screws going into the actuator and replace the actuator. Below is a link to the part you'll need to order and replace and there is a video that shows you how to replace the part in the link as well.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So I replaced the shift acuator and it is still doing the same thing, I did some reading on it. Could it be the splutch assembly? I also read some other questions people had and you said to them about doing the diagnostic test, why didn't you ask me to do this? It seems that would have been a better route to take than buying a part I didn't need.

So I just want to start by saying if I was in your house, I'd go through diagnostics and see what error code you're getting, but I've tried to explain how to do this to many people and for some reason they just can't get the sequence to work. So by far, the most likely thing that will cause this issue is your actuator. I gave you a link to a place that allows you to return it if you end up not needing it. But at this point you will definitely need to pull up an error code so if you can't pull up the error code, you'll need to call a technician out.

If you wanted to give it a shot and see if you can pull up an error code, here is the sequence you'll need to go through to display the error code.

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off). (press and hold the start/cancel button for 3 seconds to turn everything off)

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob. NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob counter-clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait 1⁄2 second.

Now you are in diagnostics.  Turn the knob until just the "DONE" LED is illuminated.  Push START. The status lights will flash on and off.

Now turn the dial one click and now the error code is displayed in the form of LEDs.

Fault/error codes are displayed by alternating the state of the Status LEDs in one-second intervals. All fault/error codes have an F# and an E#. The F# indicates “Type of Fault” and the E# indicates “Component system where fault is located.”
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already did all that but I'm at work right now til 6 so I don't have the ability to give the fault code at this time. But could the splutch assembly cause the washer not to work?

Yes it could. Many things including a door latch, bad drain pump, control board, etc can all cause the washer to not work. But 90+% of the time I've found the actuator is the part at fault. So if that didn't fix the issue then you'll need an error code to point you in the right direction.