Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I bought a used Kenmore 52562100. I plugged it in and it cooled

Customer Question

I bought a used Kenmore 52562100. I plugged it in and it cooled off for about 24 hours now it won't cool. I was thinking it may be stuck in Defrost mode, but I don't know how to access the defrost timer. It sounds like the fan is going and when it cooled the first time it was very cool so I don't think it has a leak. The only other info is that the Ice machine is burned out. I am just going to remove it as I use this as my beer fridge.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Is the fan inside the freezer running? Can you hear the compressor running to at least trying to start? Any clicking or buzzing sounds?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

It buzzes like the fan is on, but I don't feel any air passing from the chute to the ice maker.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Is the freezer cooling at all?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Okay, can you pull the unit out and remove the cover from the compressor compartment, please? Once off, feel the compressor. Is it warm or cold and is it running (it will be vibrating)?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the compressor is room temp. No buzzing. It was the cooling fan.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Okay, with the fan is running, that means that the unit is not in defrost. Do you have a meter to test voltage with?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I do but you'll have to let me know the settings

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Okay, before we do that, though, let's check something. On the left side of the compressor, you will see a small plastic box with wires going to it. If you remove that box (it just pulls straight off) and shake it, does it rattle?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

there is a small white box but it's zip-tied. should I cut the sip-tie and shake it?

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Yes, please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

also should I leave it plugged in?

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
I am sorry, no, it should be unplugged.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it rattles a little

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
If you smell it, does it smell burnt or hot?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

it was hot but didn't smell burnt

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Great, the heat means it is getting power, so that means that the relay is faulty. The rattle also indicates the relay is faulty. You need to replace the relay with the kit below. The new kit comes with installation instructions. Very well done!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Compressor Relay <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'll give it a whirl.How do I contact you again if this doesn't work?

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
You may simply save the URL to your favorites or follow a link that has been sent to your email.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Well I have the part and other then the internals, it looks completely different from what I have. How do I get this to work with my refrigerator?

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
There should have been instructions with the new part. You will likely need to use the small black relay with one of the white overloads. You will have two wires from the refrigerator, a hot wire and a neutral. The hot wire will go to the white overload and the neutral wire will go to the relay, following the instructions included. If there were no instructions, I can locate them for you.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

They left out the instructions. Located them for me would be very cool.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
The instructions are below! Sorry for the inconvenience.

Attachment: 2013-09-11_172400_8201786_instructions.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Am I supposed to take apart the old housing and put these new parts in? Because I can't see how this will fit on the compressor. These instructions aren't very clear how the parts go together.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Well, the three pins should be exposed. The small white overload goes on the pin that is by itself and then the small brown relay will push on the other two pins. The two white square start devices and one overload will not be used. You should have all parts pictured below, do you?

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I don't have the black box and I only have one of the white boxes.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Did that box appear to be opened when you received it? You are missing parts.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I'm missing 2 parts and they happen to be the ones I need. Guess I'll be messaging you in another week

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
That just sucks. Did you buy it from the link I provided?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes!

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Wow, that never happens. I am going to send them an email because that reflects back to me by referring them. I have been referring them for a long time and never had this issue before.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I received and installed the part. I am waiting for the fridge to cool down. I opened the doors to see if it was cooling off and it seems to be working, the only thing is that the metal divider that divides the freezer from the refrigerator is VERY hot the touch. Is this normal because it has been sitting in the garage and is getting rid of built up heat? Or do you think I am beating a dead horse?

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
The heat in that mullion strip is because of a lack of air flow in the back near the compressor. Make sure that fan is running and you should be in good shape!