Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I have a Kenmore Elite side-by-side refrigerator (model: XXXXXXXXXXX .

I have a Kenmore Elite side-by-side refrigerator (model: XXXXXXXXXXX . Today, I open the refrigerator door to find the temperature control lights flashing E F. I have checked the control board under the unit and nothing looks or smells burnt. The unit is not cooling at all. When I unplug it and plug it back in, the evaporator fan spins for a second then shuts off. The refrigerator light flashes and the code returns to E F.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

The error definitely means the evaporator fan has failed, If the evaporator fan is actually running then the control board has suffered a fatal error causing this code, It's not always apparent by smell or sight the control board is bad since that would normally only happen on the power supply side, If the temp is good and the evaporator fan is running I would replace the control board.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

To follow up, the fan only spins for about one second when I plug the refrigerator back in. It then stops and the interior light flashes and the temp control (7-segment LEDs flash E F). There is no cooling at all. Should I begin by replacing the Evaporator Fan Motor or by replacing the Control Board in your opinion? Thanks, Mike!

FYI, when the fan spins for that second, it appears to be OK and doesn't make any sound.

I would replace the evaporator motor, basically whats happening is the control board is starting the motor and then defaulting to the error when it is detecting a problem, the fan motor is the much cheaper part anyway and is likely the problem if it is not running.

Thanks!

Mike.