Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.
10522817

Hello - Same FGHB2844LF5 frigidaire refer. The new problem

Hello - Same FGHB2844LF5 frigidaire refer. The new problem is that the ice maker seems to be VERY slow. Making ice but with only 3 people in the house the thing can't keep up. We recently started using more when my mother in law came to stay because of the new baby but I can't believe a year and a half old fridge can't keep up with 3 people... Any ideas?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back. Usually when an ice maker is slow to produce ice its because the freezer itself isn't cold enough. do you know the actual temp in the freezer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The monitor on the panel says 1 deg. Although I raised the temp because I had issues with the water line freezing (the loop in the fridge portion) and I had issues with the actual ice maker itself feeezing up and not making any ice.

I think it was set at around -3 deg. when I was having those issues.... I can't imagine the range would be that tight would it?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well From what your saying its in range. 0-8 degrees is where it needs to be, looking at the diagrams this ice maker is in the refrigerator section correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Correct - it is french door upper fridge (full width on the top) with a full width pull out freezer drawer.

The icemaker is in the fridge portion on the top left.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay , is the fan for the ice maker working ? its number 147 on this diagram. Cooling FanNNN-NN-NNNNMain Product View
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yep - the fan's working. When it froze up and stopped making ice the last time, the fan wasn't though. I defrosted it and dried it out at that time but it's working now. By the way - the thing has made about 2 or 3 trays is all in almost 24 hours...

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay you probably have another blockage that's restricting the airflow through the fan. It maybe before the fan , even when the fans running if the flow is restricted it wont freezer and cycle the ice as fast. its either that or the ice maker itself is failing. those would be the only two reasons. check airflow from the freezer section and if its clear replace the ice maker, heres a link for the ice maker. Ice maker hopefully its just a blockage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I check the airflow? Is there a port that could be blocked by something that got sucked in somewhere?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
you would need to take the ice maker and auger assembly out theres a tunnel that leads into the freezer. see if theres frost buildup in that. you may also need to take the rear panel out in the freezer section and get a look from there. its hard to say where it is. heres a link to all the diagrams if that helps. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/Frigidaire-Parts/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-FGHB2844LF5/1428/0161000?pathTaken=&prst=0&shdMod=FGHB2844LF5
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So.. when I said the fan is working, I was talking about the fan in the ice maker section... I pulled off the cover in the actual freezer section (at the back) and there is another fan that is not spinning... should that one be running full time?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes that should be running. try pressing in the light switch and see if it starts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok - yes that's running as well...

So does the air from the freezer to the ice maker come from there or from under the wide flap at the back / bottom? My freezer is suddenly (in the last few weeks) very full, maybe it's just because it isn't getting enough air?

Or could the ice maker unit itself be bad after only a year or two? If it's bad, would it still make ice - only very slowly, or not at all?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
the ice maker motor could be failing in the ice maker which would make it run real slow. as far as the tunnel goes can you shine a light down the hole after you get the ice maker assembly out and you should see the light in the freezer. just make sure the light in the freezer is off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

great thanks!

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
No problem , have a great night. thanks, Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 15 yrs. experience as a certified appliance technician.