Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

Hi MikeSame ref. as above , has worked well till last weekNow

Hi Mike
Same ref. as above , has worked well till last week
Now it runs constant but is not cooling sufficiently,
Down to the 50's
What do you think?
Dave
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Hi dave do you still need help with this question?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Ok David can you open the freezer door and look behind the shelf's, need to know if you see any frost on the lower panel behind the shelf's.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

this is a refrig only, no freezer, bottom rear hass slight ice biuld up on the surfaace do you want me to open it up and look inside?

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Yes please david.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, we have ice build up on the coils

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
What is the model number David? should look something like this and be on a sticker inside the fridge 517.12345678
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

253.60721002

Thanks for working on the weekend.

Expert:  Mike replied 11 months ago.
Your Welcome Dave, Caught me just as I was heading out.

Ok the problem here is going to be a separate one to the original problem, in this case the defrost system has failed.

Remove the panel on the inside of the refrigerator, behind the panel you will see the evaporator, looped below the evaporator you will see the defrost heater, Clipped to the top you will see the bi metal thermostat. With the frost still on the evaporator test the heater with a ohm meter, if it reads open it will need to be replaced. If the heater reads good then the bi metal clipped to the top of the evaporator is bad and will need to be replaced, Before you replace the faulty part make sure you melt the frost with a hair dryer.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Mike

Hope you had a good weekend, Just back myself ,

I disconnected the thermostat defrost ,checked and got continuity, is

that what you wanted? If so, do I now replace the thermostat-defrost?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Yes if the heater was good replace the defrost sensor/thermostat