Barry G.
Barry G., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  27 years in home appliance repair. EPA refrigerant transition and recovery certification type I & II.
11179659

Samsung RF266AB refrigerator Both freezer and refrigerator

Samsung RF266AB refrigerator

Both freezer and refrigerator are not cooling as they should. Separate bulb thermometers placed in both sections indicate warmer temperatures than display. Following instructions in the repair manual does not show any sensor errors. The temperature in the freezer is around 30 F and 42 F in the refrigerator.
Back in May we had a similar issue and the tech "added coolant". I'm not sure what made him come to that conclusion as I was not there to ask. I could not at that time see any sign of leakage.

Could this be a bad main board. We've had several brown outs and hurricane Sandy caused us to go on and off generator for 8 days. The fan and compressor seem to be operational. At least I can see that the fan is running and I hear the compressor go on.

I see the main board is very accessible. I'm very handy and based on the manual the board seems easy to replace.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX you for choosing our service.

Go around behind the refrigerator and remove the lower rear cover. There is a fan and compressor back there, touch the compressor on the top is it operating? Also is the fan operating back there?

I see that the temperature indicators are not functioning properly, this is a double check.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry,

Thanks for the response. The fan is operating and the compressor is hot to the touch with a slight vibration.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks Mark. I realize the freezer is warm but look at the very rear wall anyway. The coils that get cold are behind there. Is there a very thin coat of frost on the wall?

If you hold the door light switch for the freezer does the fan operate in there?

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry,

On the back wall of the freezer there is only a thin layer of moisture. When I hold the door light switch closed the fan does operate with observed air movement.

Thanks

Mark

Mark that is not a board. That is a coolant leak. All that needs to operate for that rear inside wall to be frozen, whether the cold is circulated or not is the fan at the rear and the compressor. If those 2 are working then there is nothing to prevent the cold from being present other than a coolant leak. The display will only show temperatures up to a certain degree but you definitely need to have the leak repaired and coolant added.

That means you will have to call for a coolant leak repair and the following questions are the ones that you should ask before accepting an agreement for an appliance repair.

Do you have a license to recover freon?
(They must be licensed its federal law) That way they just cannot come out without you knowing and charge you then leave because they do not have one.

What is the minimum you charge for a sealed system leak repair?

Please and lastly ask them to bring the tools needed to repair a leak. They may find the part of your unit that is leaking and be able to repair it that day, that could save a second trip charge. What some will do is tell you they have to bring the tools showing up without them and then charge twice for coming to your home twice, you want to try and avoid that.

This will give you some idea if you want to repair it or not.

If you have questions about my answer please click the "Reply To Link". I will be happy to explain anything that is not clear. If you understand and have no questions please leave a rating for me.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry,

Would a leak be visible to the eye and could it be occurring at the location where it would seem refill occurs? Your answer matches what was done the last time the technician was here. My wife says the tech did a test for leakage but found none. Is it normal to replace what I believe is a refill cap.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry,

I got a popup but did not see an answer. Could you send again.

Mark I am glad you asked, most times leaks are not visible. However the coils in the freezer is a common place for one to occur. There is a part that clips to the top of the freezer coils. There is a light vibration that happens when the refrigerator is running and this vibration "sometimes" causes a leak where this part is clipped on. If it is visible it can be seen as a tiny pinprick and will be darker than the rest of the aluminum.

Another place a leak can occur is at a solder joint. If you look close at the tubing outside of the refrigerator you will see joints and again rarely will you see the leak but you may find oil if you wipe your hand across the joint. If you find oil it is definitely leaking at that joint.

It could be leaking at the connection where the tech soldered on a valve for filling and evacuating. Hopefully he did solder on a connection and did not use a clamp over the line type that pierces the copper.

The proper way to find a leak is to evacuate any remaining coolant, then fill the refrigerator with high pressure nitrogen. Then search with liquid soap for the bubble.

Again if you have questions please ask.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry,

Thanks for your help with this. I'll get them back out here to see about recharging the system and finding the leak.

Your help was most informative.

Many thanks and have a great holiday weekend.

Mark

Thank you for the opportunity Mark I was glad to have the chance to help.

You and your family have a nice holiday as well.

Thanks,
Barry
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Barry,

Thanks for the response. The fan is operating and the compressor is hot to
the touch with a slight vibration.

Thanks

Mark

You are welcome Mark.

If those are operating and that rear inside freezer wall is not cold enough to freeze the water drops on it then there is certainly a coolant leak.

Thanks,
Barry