Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

The lights on my DW turn on, but it wont start when I hit

The lights on my DW turn on, but it won't start when I hit the start button. After a minute or so, the lights turn off.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So you have a model number so that I can better assist you and see which dishwasher you have? The model should be located on a sticker around the frame of the tub and can be seen if you open the door.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

MDBH955AWS

37876859LV

OK perfect, thank you. So there are 2 things that can cause this issue; they are the touchpad panel and the door latch assembly. Now just from experience I can tell you that the touchpad has almost definitely failed. For some reason the touchpad always fails in a way where the start button just stops working on this model. If you had a multimeter and water to be certain, you'd need to take the door apart and remove the latch assembly. Push the latch assembly onto the latch striker at the top of the tub and then check the switches on the latch assembly. There are 2 switches so if you disconnect the 2 wires going to each switch, you can test for continuity through that switch. If you have continuity, then the switches are good. If not, you need to replace the latch assembly.

Either way, since the touchpad is by far the most likely culprit, below is a link to the part.

CLICK HERE for touchpad
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So, if the touchpad panel fails so often on this model, is this a design flaw that is only going to fail again if I replace the touchpad panel? Would you suggest purchasing a different model dishwasher that won't fail, rather than wasting more money on a defective product? If so, which brand would be better for a family of 6 that won't require me to take get into the kids college fund?

So I would probably classify it as a design flaw or bad manufacturing since I've seen so many, but Maytag won't admit to that as it would make them liable for a recall. Manufactures don't recall their units unless a class action lawsuit is filed or it can cause potential damage to the house/operator. That being said, I would say that if you replace it, you'd get another 5-6 years before the same thing happened again which is probably worth repairing in my eyes if you can replace the part yourself. If you wanted to get a new dishwasher, I'd go with the Bosch Ascenta line. Bosch is normally quite expensive, but the Ascenta line is less than $500.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will I need any special tools disconnect & install a new touchpad panel? I don't understand how to disconnect & re-connect the panel to the motherboard? It looks like you need to sauter connection. Please explain this connection.

No you do not need any special tools. Nothing you can't pick up at Sears or Home Depot if you don't have the tools already.

The ribbon cable from the touchpad connects to the control board, but it's not soldered. There is a plastic receptacle on the board that you can release and then the top of the receptacle will pull up so that you can pull the ribbon cable out.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Please send me a picture of this plastic receptacle as I have tried to loosen the ribbon cable but it's not releasing. I don't want to break anything so I would appreciate a picture of this plastic receptacle & where you release it. Thanks!

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You're working towards an "excellent" rating.

So, do I try to remove the plastic receptacle on the side where the arrow is? Do I just pop it off with a screw driver?

You just grab it and pull that receptacle directly away from the board. It won't pop off completely. It just pulls forward about 1/4" and then the ribbon cable won't be clamped down and you can pull the ribbon cable out.