Randy 43
Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert
13202342

about how long does it normally take to replace a subzero gasket?

about how long does it normally take to replace a subzero gasket? do you recommend I turn the unit off?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Randy 43 replied 11 months ago.

Randy 43 :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX iam happy to help you with your question today..which model is your subzero? is it the fridge or freezere gasket?

Customer:

It is the freezer gasket. the model is the 700tci

Randy 43 :

is it both drawers? are they both torn gaskets/.

Randy 43 :

why do they need replacing?

Customer:

both doors. gaskets are not torn, but they are stiff and do not seal well. the fridge gasket is pliable, flexible and provides a good seal. Also, the bottom drawer seems to be about 2 or 3 milimiters sticking out. could that be the problem? or an additional problem?

Randy 43 :

\as long as the front of the gasket meets up with the cabinet frame ,the gasket is fine ,,the freezer gaskets are always harder than the fridge gaskets due to the lower temps in the freezer section ..may i ask why do you feel you need to replace them?

Randy 43 :

is there a noticeable gap between the gasket and frame?

Customer:

no noticeable space, but there is moisture collecting on both freezer doors

Randy 43 :

have you cleaned the condenser ?

Customer:

it was cleaned about 2 years ago. I dont' recall procedure by repairman. does It need to come out?

Randy 43 :

the only real maintenance on any subzero is too clean the condenser //if you pull out the very bottom drawer , lift up and pull out the bottom drawer ,you can remove that drawer ..there is a panel, 4 screws and that comes off .there is a grill that can accumulate with dust and cause everything to run hot ..that needs to be vacuumed every 6 months ..for everything to run efficiently ..that is my recommendation before you start throwing money at gaskets that may not need replacing ..unless the gaskets are torn and have have major air gaps ? they are ok ..clean the condenser first ,that is the most likely culprit

Customer:

What is the connection between the condenser and the moisture on the drawers. the thermometer tells me the temp inside the freezer drawers is the same -5 degrees I

Customer:

have always had it set to.

Randy 43 :

condensation occurs if the compressors run hot and it is working harder than normal , hot gas of the freon lines meet room temp air causes condensation ..unless both gaskets are suddenly compromised and not sealing and letting in huge amounts of air ..it cant really be much else ..gaskets very rarely go and to the extent of causing massive air leaks are even more uncommon

Customer:

OK, I will clean the gaskets in the morning. From my end this is a good lead but not a solution. If I solve the problem with

Customer:

this advise I'd be satisfied. At this point sounds good, but still untested. Do I have to pay now or wait until

Customer:

I implement your solution which may or may not work.

Randy 43 :

you can accept now and ask any other questions afterwards at no extra charge , but it is not the gaskets you need to clean it is the condenser coil that reqs cleaning ..you remove the bottom drawer and the grill behind that ..then vacuunm all the dust build up on the aluminum radiator looking grill

Customer:

OK. I will follow you advise and will advise of results. thanks.

Randy 43, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs experience 18 in home,gas license , refrigeration expert