Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

We have a Tappan TMV151F microwave within the last two weeks

We have a Tappan TMV151F microwave within the last two weeks I noticed it seeming louder now it will stary up and run but will not heat, any ideas?
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So unfortunately this is quite a big problem as far as microwaves go. If the microwave still looks and acts normal and is humming a lot louder, but it's not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $100-150 so depending on the condition of the microwave, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order for your model number.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this part difficult for the lay person to replace? The microwave is only four yrs. Old and in awesome shape.

it's not easy to replace I'm afraid. It will require you to completely un-install the microwave and then remove all the screws going into the outer shell of the microwave. The outer shell of the microwave will then pull straight back, up, and off. Once you remove this shell, you will have access to replace the magnetron. Make sure to wear rubber gloves because the capacitor can hold a charge of 3000 volts even when the microwave is not plugged in.