Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Kenmore Elite Dryer model 110.62952100 starts when you push

Customer Question

My Kenmore Elite Dryer model 110.62952100 starts when you push the start button, but dryer stops immediately upon release of the button. Researching on line told me it should be the thermal fuse. I tested the continuity and both seem fine. I then did the "test" but unplugging the leads, black taping together and testing the dryer again. Same result. will kick on, but dryer goes off immediately. I also tested the on/off switch, it has continuity. Lastly I placed the dryer on high and held the button on (approx 30 seconds) It heated up and is blowing hot air.. Just will not seem to stay on.. Now what? Thanks - Tom
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

appliance Doc :

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So to start, the thermal fuse would never cause this problem because it would stop the dryer from running at all, not just when you release the start button. That being said, there is one quick test you need to do. Press and hold the start button for 1 minute. Open the door and is the dryer heating at all?

Customer :

Yes, the dryer heated up.

appliance Doc :

OK so, if the dryer heats up, that means that your motor is working properly and the even heat control board is good. Unfortunately your motor relay inside the control panel has failed and isn't switching the power from the start winding to the run winding. Below is a link to the motor relay you'd need to order and replace inside the control panel. There are (2) relays that look the same in the control panel so make sure to replace the motor relay which is the one that DOES NOT have 2 large thick red wires going to it.

appliance Doc :

CLICK HERE for relay

Customer :

I see the relay with the 2 thick red wires. Is the other one directly below that one or is it the relay to the right of the on/off switch? 2nd question, I should be able to get the part tomorrow. Shall I hold on submitting feedback until after installing tomorrow and testing ?

appliance Doc :

I can't say the exactly location, but there are only 2 in the entire control panel so ignore the one with 2 thick red wires and it will be the other one. As for submitting feedback, you can do that whenever as long as you don't forget, but typically feedback is submitted now when the conversation is over and you can come back and change it or ask follow-up questions later if you wanted.

Customer :

ok thanks - I just wanted to make sure I had an opportunity for follow-up if necessary and was not sure how I could continue on with this thread if necessary. Thanks

appliance Doc :

Yes of course. You can post back any time you need. There will be an E-mail sent to you with a link so that you can click on it and come back to the question if you had further questions.

appliance Doc :

Sorry, I forgot to allow you to rate

appliance Doc :

It should be fixed now

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi - It didn't work... I drove into the city to pick up the part you attached to your answer, and it did not solve the problem... When you press the on switch, the dryer comes on but immediately goes off...

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Are you sure you replaced the correct relay and are you sure that the dryer is heating when you hold the start button?

If you're not sure that the correct relay was replaced, just swap out the other relay since they are the same part.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, it has to be the correct relay, the only other relay that is identical is the one with the 2 large red wires going into it... and yes, it is heating when you hold the button down.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So this would be a very rare case if that relay didn't fix the issue. I would still replace the other relay just to be 100% certain since you happen to have and extra god relay right now anyways. Either way, if that didn't fix the issue then the even heat control board needs to be ordered and replaced. That's the small 3" x 5" control board inside the control panel. Below is a link to the control board you'd need to replace. Now normally when this part fails, the heat stops as well, but if the relay didn't fix the issue, this would be the only option.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Switching out the other relay didn't help either... I don't know - looking at $190.00 for a new control board - and what if that doesn't fix the pblm? I should probably just look at buying new......

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I didn't figure switching out the other relay would work, but since I'm not there I just wanted to be 100% certain the correct relay was being replace. It's up to you if you wanted to replace the part or replace the dryer, but if you buy the part from Repairclinic.com, they do allow returns unlike most other places.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The other thing is, and not to question your knowledge, because I have none and am just very frustrated., but why do you think it's the even heat control board? - earlier on in this thread you mentioned that if "if the dryer heats up, that means that your motor is working properly and the even heat control board is good." Is there any other tests I can do? I do have an ohm meter.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
There is really no other tests you can do since the relay has been replaced. The even heat control board is what actually activates the motor relay. So if the motor relay is good, then that means the motor relay isn't being activated by the control board. Now normally on this model when the even heat board fails, it stops the heat as well, but there are those very rare cases where that isn't the case--such as your case.