Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

Maytag oven will not heat. Model MGR5775QDS. Have replaced

Maytag oven will not heat. Model MGR5775QDS. Have replaced igniter and that did not fix the problem. The connector on the old igniter was partially melted and it may have shorted. Checking for voltage across the new igniter after turning the oven on shows that there is no voltage. I can hear a solenoid click, but nothing is happening. What should I check next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Hi, if the igniter is not glowing and you read no voltage at the igniter when the oven is set then the problem is going to be the control board, You can check this by pulling the wires off the bake terminal, set the oven for 350f, you should read 120v when tested to a ground, if as I suspect you read 0v or close then your control board (also called clock or EOC) will need to be replaced.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where is the bake terminal physically located?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
On the back of the clock (control board) I'm almost 100% certain you will get 0 volts since your not reading any voltage at the igniter but it is wise to check that there is no problem with the terminal.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Have three connectors on back of control unit. P1 - 2 wires, P2 - 6 wires, P4 - 4 wires (red, yel, blk, blk). Diagram on back of unit says that P4 yellow is the oven igniter. Disconnecting connector, setting unit to 350 and probing for AC voltage gives voltage of 1.7VAC. Does this confirm dead controller? The broiler works fine by the way.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes likely the relay in the control board is bad, unfortunately the control board will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the help!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Tom.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yikes - $260 for the control unit: 10 year old range, best to repair or replace?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If the unit is in great condition I'd repair it, If not I would look for a new oven.

Just incase you do the repair the link below is a supplier with one in stock.

Click here

Thank you for the positive rating. It was my pleasure helping you today. Please get back to me here at any time if you have additional questions :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, the replacement controller has finally arrived. I haveinstalled and there is still no power to the igniter.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok disconnect the power to the igniter, Hook up your volt meter to the wire coming from the control (not the wire going to the valve) then set the oven for 350f and test the voltage on the wire coming from the control down to ground, let me know what reading you get?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, Don't understand what I am seeing here.......

Tracing the power lead back to the P4-2 yellow wire on the back of the controller.

I get 23VAC before turning on the oven

turn on the oven.

About 10 seconds later, I hear the relay click and the voltage drops to 0VAC

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I want to see if you have a bad neutral on the valve, so I will need to have you measure the voltage at the igniter but not using the wire running to the valve as a circuit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what you are asking for here. Voltmeter is running from power lead at the igniter to ground (wall socket). The igniter is currently not connected

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No any ground will do. The chassis of the range will work since that is grounded. Hook your red probe to the wire running from the control to the igniter at the igniter (make sure the wires are disconnected from the igniter) the black probe touch down to anything metallic that has no paint on it on the chassis.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done, no change to the results

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
0v?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes - Just went out to the garage to get my hot-neutral tester and it says that hot and neutral are reversed......that circuit has not been touched for at least 10 years. Should I go ahead and swap the hot-neutral?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
First run a extension cord to the oven from another circuit and try the oven, I don't see how this would effect this if it has not been touched for 10 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK - very different behavior now. 11VAC before turning on oven and 122VAC after relay kicks on

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok then in that case try hooking the igniter back up see if it runs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No heat from the igniter. It is getting 120V though

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok Tom the problem is a bad neutral on the valve, What threw me off was you saying there was no voltage at the igniter initially which is why I put the problem down to the control. Return the control, Order the safety valve and you should be all set.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, will replace the valve. The swapped hot-neutral wires caused the no voltage to the igniter. Wonder how it worked for so long

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Not sure but normally the unit would throw up a error code if the hot and neutral are swapped.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't see a safety valve on the parts diagram. Do you have the part number?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sure click on the link below.

Click here to order the valve

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome :)

Thanks