Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.

How do I clean the filter on my dishwasher?..it is about 9

How do I clean the filter on my dishwasher?..it is about 9 years old and is a quiet partner 4 model
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you give me the model number from the sticker around the door aperture please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Mike...I cannot locate a model number...the only number on the sticker is(NNN) NNN-NNNN.and I do not think that is a model number..the unit is a Whirlpool quiet IV model

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok have you had a problem with it draining?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No..it is just that the glasses are not coming out clean and neither are the dishes...this happened a few years ago and an appliance guy came out and took the filter apart and cleaned it and the problem was fixed. I thought I could get an answer from you and do it myself this time..thnx

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok, You would need to clean the sump out, remove the lower rack, Grab a pair of pliers and hold the tab in the middle of the lower wash arm. Turn the arm while the tab is held, the wash arm will come off.

next take the screw out of the tubes running up the back and at the top. Remove the entire spray assembly then remove the screws holding the sump cover. Pry it up with a screw driver, You should be able to clear out the sump and improve the performance of the wash.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK...thnx Mike...here I go to do what you have told me....can I leave this page open in case I need your help again...and provide your rating at that time...

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Ok

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

OK.
Mike...I am almost there...I have evrything unscrewed including the three screws that hold the round screen...I am not sure what it is I am supposed to pry up with the screwdriver...is it just the smaller screen piece on the top or the wider round piece underneath it that is bigger

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Once the screws are out around the white piece at the botXXXXX XXXXXft it off then remove the larger filter screen at the bottom.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Got it Mike...I thought there might be some old food stuff in the bottom, but all I see is some black mold residue on the last big piece that came out...would that have caused the problem and once I clean that all out, should that fix things?

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Yes possibly, once you have cleaned it all out and put everything back together if you are still having the same problem then a very common problem with this model is the wash motor weakening, this causes the water not to be pumped around the machine at the correct pressure which in turn causes the dishes not to get cleaned correctly, in this case the main wash motor would need to be replaced.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Mike..you are just great and I will indeed give you an excellent rating...please, one more thing...I cannot remember how to re-install the little grey spiggot that hass the tab on it that I held the pliars to when I took it apart...I had it all back together the way I thought it should be, but the bottom wash arm would not go down far enough to grab the threads of the spiggot..

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Put the lower wash arm where it should go then hold the tab on top then spin the wash arm in the opposite direction to the way you took it off, it should then be all set.

Thanks!

Mike.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Sorry Mike...after I have put the spiggot back into the spot and screwed the 4 screws back in OK and I put the washer arm back on top, the threads do not come up far enough to grab the washer arm.. I think the spiggot is down too far and I'm not sure in re-installed it correctly

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Below is a video that may help you

Click here

Thanks!

Mike.

Expert:  Mike replied 10 months ago.
Hi ,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? If you are still having a problem please feel free to come back for additional assistance.

Let me know,