Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
22302088

I am resubmitting the request. The previous one was sent

I am resubmitting the request.

The previous one was sent to All Appliance Questions instead Appliance Repair.

I have a Whirlpool refrigerator model ET8FTEXKQ01.

It stopped cooling, I don't know for how long.

I unplugged it waited a while and plugged it back in and it came back and started cooling again.

I came back at some point, went in to get something and it had stopped cooling again I did the same thing again and it came back and was cooling.

It happened once again and then would not come back and will not start back up.

I know their is power coming in because the inside light comes on when you open the door

I realized that the problem could be the condenser coils.

I looked under and sure enough the they really needed cleaning.

They have been cleaned but it will still not start up.

Your online information suggests the Run Capacitor should fix the problem 82% of the time.

I purchased the Run Capacitor part number PS325424 and installed the part, but it still will not start.

Can you indicate to me the likelihood that the problem could be corrected by purchasing and installing a Compressor Relay and Overload part number PS371538, that according to the online information will fix the problem 16% of the time.

And, at what point of making fixes, is it time to throw in the towel and replace the appliance.

If you recommend replacing another part, do instructions come with it?

For the Run Capacitor there was a video to show how to install it, but there is not one for this second part.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX time for your attention and considerations on this matter.

Bob Bonovich
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX will be assisting you with this problem today. Thanks for trusting JA to help you with this appliance question.

Can you pull the unit out from the wall, remove the lower panel in the rear. Once the panel is off you will see the compressor, feel the compressor, need to know if it feels hot or room temp, also need to know if the fan beside the compressor is running.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I plugged it in and after a couple minutes it is not heating up.

Do I need to wait longer?

The fan is not running.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes can you give it about a half hour please then get back to me, thanks Bob.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes Mike.

I was waiting for the time to check the compressor.

Thanks for checking back.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Bob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Mike,

Got your ears on?

No heat on compressor, no fan.

Get back when you can, I'll be here.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok Bob can you give me a minute to look up the model number please.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok Bob, the problem here is the adaptive defrost control board has failed, This is located inside the control panel and will need to be replaced.

To order your replacement part>>>>> CLICK HERE <<<<< To order your replacement part.

I would like to earn your highest rating, if you are not totally satisfied with my answer please hit the continue button.

If I have answered your questions to your satisfaction please feel free to come back at any time after rating me "Excellent service" for additional questions you may have at no further charge :)

Sometimes I will have to give bad news, Please try to find it in yourself to rate me for the service not the bad news.

Thanks!

Mike.

Mike, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: I have been repairing appliances for 25 years, I run my own appliance repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Mike.

I had thought that might be the problem.

Is this a particularly hard fix for me to do?

I priced one of those parts and was surprised at the cost, although I haven't priced it from Part Select.

Evidently, the one in this refrigerator is not that common in some other appliances, especially some of the older ones.

Worth replacing or cut my losses and go for a new unit?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The board has actually been redesigned bob so it is allot more reliable now. Its fairly easy to replace, the control panel is held in with screws and clips, drop it out then swap the boards.

Thanks!

Mike.