Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

(Appliance Doc Only) Im working on a large LG front load washer.

(Appliance Doc Only) I'm working on a large LG front load washer. I get the Error Code EO which the book says is a drain problem. I need to know how to get the cabinet open before I take a look to see if the pump is clogged or not working. Do you know how to get into these things?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So I believe the error code you're getting is actually OE not "EO" since EO doesn't exist and OE means you have a drain issue. If you've already checked the drain catch, then you need to remove the drain pump to check for a blockage as you have surmised. So that being said, lets explain how to access the drain pump.

To access the drain pump, you need to pull the washer forward and unplug it. Pull the dispenser drawer completely off the washer. Next, remove the 2 bolts coming in from the back of the top panel. The top panel will pull straight back, up, and off. Remove the screws coming in through the dispenser opening and the screws coming from the inside of the washer going into the control panel. There is one screw down at the filter catch you need to remove as well. The control panel will then pull up and out of the way. At this point, you just have a few screws going across the top of the front panel to remove. Open the door and you need to disconnect the rubber door gasket. There is a wire ring around the front lip of the rubber door gasket. Use a flat head screwdriver and pry the wire ring off the gasket. Now you can remove the front panel to access the drain pump located under the drum attached to the drain catch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Uh-oh, I may have bigger problems. Is the diagram you're looking at showing the control at the back on the top of the washer like most washers?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No, the diagram I see shows the control panel on the front of the washer above the door.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you send me a link to your diagram, because the actual machine looks like the one you're describing. I have a picture of a bunch of related models and yours is really the one I need.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Sure thing. Appliance parts pros has a diagram of your unit in the link below.

CLICK HERE for diagram

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought of one more question. When I get that pump out of the LG front loader, is there a way to put a meter on it and test it?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
It's really difficult to test power at the drain pump on this unit I'm afraid. You'd need to test power between the 2 wires going to the pump when it should be draining, but you are better off doing that through the back of the washer before taking it apart.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since this got blocked, I want to give you another rating, but I guess I have to reply for that to come up. What would you do in this case? If it's not draining and spinning, would you bet it is the pump, or would you get in there and test those two wires?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I would probably test the two wires, because you're down to a blockage in the pump, a bad pump, or a bad control board. It's fairly difficult to remove the pump so I would check power and make sure it's getting power before the OE error appears. If so, then remove the pump, check for a blockage, and if you find nothing---replace the pump.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc