Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

i have kenmore elite(NNN) NNN-NNNNand I cant get it to start.

i have kenmore elite(NNN) NNN-NNNNand I can't get it to start. the control panel is active (lights up and responds), but the dishwasher does not start. I also have some water in the bottom of the dishwasher that I've tried to drain, but it's not draining.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Does it make any noise at all? Any flashing lights?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no noise

no flashing lights

i hit the start button and the cycle lights (blue) are on for about 30 seconds and then the cancel button light (red) comes on.

Thank you!

Your touch panel is likely experiencing a failure. You may need to replace the control panel but there is a trick you can try first. Cut the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while "massaging" the buttons. Often times, this will restore operation. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic. If this does not work, let me know what happens and I can get you the correct part information, if necessary.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can hear the dishwasher trying to do something. but it's not starting. i don't think its the panel. any other ideas?

Is it the drain pump you hear running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

how can you tell? It may be.

The drain pump is very quiet, it is very hard to hear. If the main motor was running, you would definitely hear it. So, if it is draining, the door switch is good. The issue with it not starting is with that panel. You may have luck if you are persistent with the may save you a couple hundred dollars and does not cost anything to try. Sometimes it takes a while, but the rubbing of the buttons and the heat helps to dissipate and evaporate the moisture that causes the issues with those panels. It is up to you, let me know if you would like the part number for that panel.