Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

Hello Kelly, Re: Maytag Model MSD2756GE Freezer and refrigerator

Customer Question

Hello Kelly,

Re: Maytag Model MSD2756GE

Freezer and refrigerator controls set to #9 coldest. The freezer holds just above 0 Deg and the refrigerator just at 39 deg. The damper between the freezer and the refrigerator operates with change in settings and cold air transfers from the freezer when damper is open. We used to operate with both settings at #5
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. Sorry to hear of your refrigerator trouble. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

have taken cover off and fan is running and all sections of coils very cold. No frost.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, is there a light frost, although not built up excessively to block air flow, on any part of the coil? Especially on the upper portion of the coil?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

light frost on coil

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, great! Is the metal strip between the doors that they seal against very hot?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

opened both doors, metal strip top to bottom not hot at all

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Hmm, okay. So the freezer is good but the refrigerator not getting cold enough, correct?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

correct. In fact when I set the freezer control to #5 (normal) the refrigerator will not keep thing cold. thinking it might be the Adaptive defrost control board

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Since there is no frost on the coil and the fan is running, the defrost components are not suspect. The issue seems to be air flow related since the freezer is working well. So, since the fan is running in the freezer, that only leaves the damper control, number 8 in the picture. It is not sensing the temperature correctly and is not opening as it should to allow cool air to enter the fresh food section and will need to be replaced. That part is pictured and available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Damper Assembly <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Kelly,

Thanks for zeroing in on the problem. Just ordered the damper. I will update you when it is installed.

Enjoy the rest of your week.

Regards,

XXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the same. I appreciate your feedback, thank you. Let me know how it goes!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hello Kelly,

I just replaced the damper control and the freezer will hold 0 Degrees with the control set to mid/#5 however the refrigerator is set to max cool and the compartment temperature in the refrigerator will not drop below 40 deg? Help please.

Thanks,

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Are you sure there is no ice or frost blocking the air flow? Look at the coil itself and at the bottom of the coil, to the right. There is no frost anywhere that you can see?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No ice or frost on coil. Photo attached.

Bob

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Over to the right is the air return. Is that opening frosted up?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Kelly,

checked the air return and no frost. I even reached inside to return and no frost. Photo attached.

Thanks,

Bob

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Is the damper open?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Kelly,

In the freezer compartment I removed the back covers. The fan blade is securely attached to the motor shaft. The return damper/plastic flap (at the bottom right) is not restricted and is open. Put the back cover on in the freezer compartment and noted good air flow from the vents. Closed the freezer door and on the refrigerator side the supply damper at the top is open and there is air blowing out the slit at the top. At the bottom of the refrigerator on the lower left the thin blue plastic flap is moving freely and air is returning into the freezer compartment.

What next?

Thanks,

Bob

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
That makes no sense that the freezer is good but the fresh food is not. You have checked every air flow issue and found all is well. Is the frost pattern all over the evaporator coil in the freezer or only near the top?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The frost pattern is consistent on the coil, photo attached. Still at 0-5 degrees in the freezer and 40-42 degrees in the refrigerator. I even tried the reading with another thermometer. Just don't know why the temperature in the refrigerator won't go lower??

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Do you have the cover on the coil when it is running to help direct the air?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes the covers were put back in place before checking temperature and air flow in both compartments.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Nothing is making sense, everything points to the auto damper not functioning correctly. Yet, it behaves the same with the new one in place. It has to be an issue with air flow since the freezer is cooling well.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Any suggestions on checking the volume of air flow?

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.
Have you inspected the inner part of the damper itself to see if it may be partially obstructed?