Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.

Samsung fridge/freezer model Sr-L657 - freezer cannot maintain

Customer Question

Samsung fridge/freezer model Sr-L657 - freezer cannot maintain a stable temperature, it fluctuates between 0 degree and -19. has shut down completely twice, two techs cost me big bucks and I still have the problem? What can I do to get it sorted?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tom Goellner replied 10 months ago.

Tom Goellner :

You say it has been "regassed twice " If the problem all along has been the temperature going between 0 and -19 , I seriously doubt that your problem has ever been a low refrigerant charge. Do you know what other parts they've replaced ?

Customer:

This is not very helpful. I will try to find out what was replaced, the technician is not available until next week. The freezer is now showing -13C but is not working at all, it is actually at O degrees.

Customer:

The pencel dryer was blocked and replaced. I understand this is the name and spelling of the part.

Tom Goellner :

Are you giving me temperatures in Fahrrenheit or Celsius - makes a HUGE difference. I'm in the U.S. and just assume people are giving me temperatures in Fahrenheit.

Customer:

I am in South Africa. The temperatures are Centigrade

Tom Goellner :

Ok the temperature in the freezer should be 0 deg F which is -17 C. It sounds like they have been adding refrigerant which means it has a leak. Did they try to locate the leak ? Because without determing where it is losing refrigerant and repairing the leak it will continue to lose it causing high freezer ( and also high fresh food ) temperatures.

Customer:

To my knowledge the first technician found and fixed a leak. The second technician (more expert and better equipped) tested and found no leak. He replaced the pencel drier.

Tom Goellner :

After these techs did their work did the fridge work properly for a few days ? They would have had to put service valves on the system to check and add refrigerant and using a gauge it needs to be checked to see if it is low again - if it is the leak is NOT fixed.

Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 32 yrs. experience servicing major appliances and HVAC equipment.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

m still left with a freezer that does not freeze

You need to get the tech back and have him check ( with his gauges ) if the fridge is low on refrigerant again.