Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a maytag bravos quiet series 300 washer that is making

I have a maytag bravos quiet series 300 washer that is making a flapping sound when spinning dry. I opened the back and I can see a black shadow of something going around the tub. Should there be anything at the bottom in the water spinning around?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

There really shouldn't be any noise when it's spinning. If it's getting a noise and you think you see something inside the tub between the inner basket and outer tub, then you need to remove the inner tub to check for debris. Here are the steps to remove the inner basket.

1. Unplug the power cord

2. Lift the top of the washer up, to do this there are 2 latches in the seams between the top and the bottom sections. These latches are about 6 1/2 inches from the right side and left side of the washer. You need to insert a small screwdriver (be careful not to scratch the paint) and push the latch while lifting the top section.

3. The top will actually fold back leaving the inner tube fully exposed. Support the glass lid so it doesn’t get damaged because it is very heavy and will fall open when you flip the top back.

4. Remove the plastic top of the tub. There is one hose connected at the back and there are several snaps around the outer edge that hold it on. Remove the hose and unsnap the snaps and set it aside.

5. Remove the cap covering the very center of the agitator. It is just snapped in place and can be pried off with a small screwdriver.

6. Remove the center screw under the cap.

7. Remove the agitator, you need to lift it evenly and might have to work your way around by pulling on one of the three fins and then the next and so on. I also had luck using a small pair of needle nose pliers and grabbing a small lip inside the area where the screw was and pulling from there.

8. Remove the 6 Phillips screws in the middle holding the plastic top gear in place. Be very careful you don’t drop one of the screws because it can fall through the slots in the basket and be lost below.

9. Remove the plastic top gear.

10. Pull the plastic lower gear off of the splined shaft. It should pull right off.

11. Now you need to pull the basket up and off of the shaft. This is where you might have problems because the basket might be corroded to the shaft. If you can grab the basket on both sides under the outer lip and pull upward it might pull up. If not, then you will have to figure out a way to get it off.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So nothing should be floating around with the water at the bottom?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
no, nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the lid latch is towards the back? Do I need to open them at the same time or can I do one then the other?

Thank you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
The lid latch is actually toward the front, not the back. You really need to push back on the hidden clip on on side, then lift the top panel about half and inch on that side. Go to the other side and push in on the other hidden clip and the top panel will hinge up and backwards then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see something do I push down on it our pry up?
Is it on the front of the washer?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
You push it back.

It's in the seam of the washer on the front. You can't see it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it, it was a sock caught in it. Thank you thank you
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Awesome. I'm so glad it was something simple!
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.