Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My refrigerator ices up inside - what do I do?

Customer Question

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

Is it just the refrigerator section that is freezing up? And is the a particular area or all over?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At times it seems to freeze food in all areas - in crisper drawers also.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a model number? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section.

Also, when it's freezing everything, does the temperature still show 38 or 40?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model #G15svaxvloo - It has been on 38 degrees which was recommended---

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so this is a french door unit. Open the right refrigerator door and stick your head inside and look to the left where the ice bucket seals up with the left door. Is there a gap between the seal or is it sealing up with the left door while the left door is shut.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't really understand what you are asking--

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what to say. You need to open the right refrigerator door. Stick your head inside the refrigerator and look to the left. Does the left door seal up to the ice bucket ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it seems to.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
OK so then you either have a bad temperatature thermistor inside the refrigerator, or the damper assembly isn't closing up and needs to be replaced. The sensor will not usually go in and out, so most likely the damper assembly needs to be replaced. The damper assembly is the part in the upper back left corner of the refrigerator where the cold air vents into the refrigerator from the ice area. To access this part, the entire icemaker would need to be removed.

Removing the icemaker is quite difficult on this unit. You must first open the left side refrigerator door and pull the ice bucket out. There is a white plastic trim piece along the bottom left edge of the ice cavity. Locate the hole in this trim about half way down the trim and stick a small flat head screwdriver through this hole and pry down on the hidden tab behind this trim to release the trim. The trim will then pull forward and out. Now you can disconnect the wire harness behind this trim. Lift the tab away from the left side panel that is right next to the icemaker and begin pulling on the icemaker. The entire icemaker and back panel assembly will pull straight forward and out of the ice maker cavity. From there it's straight forward and you just remove the screws attaching the icemaker to the entire assembly. Below is a link to the damper assembly you'd need to replace.

CLICK HERE for damper assembly.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No more information required. Changed the temp from 38 degrees to 39 degrees - no more iceing up as of now. I had just changed the

water filter - maybe that had something to do with my problem.

Thanks so much-----

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.
No problem and I'm glad it's up and running again.