Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

GE WSERE526FWW Motor runs in agitate but motor does not run

Customer Question

GE WSERE526FWW Motor runs in agitate but motor does not run for spin. I want to cut motor wiring harness to test motor and send 115v directly to motor. I understand if I connect blue and red together to one side of 115v patch cord and violet/white to other side of patch cord the motor should run in spin mode, but --- this machine does not have an orange wire!Should I instead connect yellow wire from capacitor and Violet/white to one side of patch cord and blue and red together to other side of patch cord??
Submitted: 1 year ago via ApplianceRepair.Net.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Before you start cutting wires...

Does the water pump out when it stops agitating?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes water pumps out after agitation cycle ends and lid switch is working correctly.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and does the motor hum or buzz at all, or just sit quietly after the water drains.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Main motor does not hum or buzz when it should be running for spin.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a meter to test voltage with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I have a Simpson 260 meter.(one of the best you can buy)

Many years ago I was an appliance service tech and worked for the GE factory. I remember we used to test the motor by cutting the wiring harness and feeding the motor directly with 115 volts, but I am unsure of the wiring colors.

Anyway you are the current specialist, I will follow your suggestions.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, let's look and see what the computer will tell us. Position the cycle selector knob to the 9 o'clock position. Hold the start button while you turn that same knob 180*. Release the start button and all of the lights should come on. Once they do, turn the knob 8 positions clockwise and see if the machine will spin. Let me know what happens, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Kelly, I followed your exact instructions and the washer started to spin.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, great! So, that verifies the motor is good, the wiring is good, too! So now, unplug it for about 5 minutes and then start a regular spin cycle and see what happens. I will await your reply.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I followed your instructions, but when I set it for a regular spin cycle the main motor does not run only the pump motor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kelly ,
Is it the control board??
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Okay, so we know the motor is good and the wiring is good. That means the machine control is faulty and will need to be replaced. The correct one for your model is pictured and available below. Great job on the diagnostics!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are theonly company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Control

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
That part is available below.

Control <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

In accordance with Kelly's diagnosis, I replaced the Wh12X10323 control, and sometimes the spin works, but several times when set on light load, after the rinse is finished the pump runs and pumps all of the water out but the spin does not start!

Charles

Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.
Check the hose to the pressure switch. Does air easily pass if you blow into the hose removed from the switch?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Kelly,

I removed the hose from pressure switch and blew down into it. I can blow into it, and air passes but not easily.

Charles

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Kelly,
About 6 inches from bottom of pressure switch hose I observed some "gunk" which may have been restricting the hose. I disconnected the hose at both top and bottom and loosened the "gunk with a short piece of wire. Then using a turkey baster and hot was I flushed the hose out from the top down. I have now ran 2 complete cycles and the spin was normal. The original diagnosis of control board may not have been correct. Many years ago when I was a GE factory Service Specialist, we always checked for simple problems first. Perhaps the pressure control hose should have been checked before replacing the control board? Question: There is a square box on the side of the outer plastic tub where the hose connects. Is there a screen or any kind of restriction from inside the tub to this box which might need to be cleaned?????

Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.
The fact that it worked in the diagnostics showed we were dealing originally with a control issue. If the pressure hose had been plugged, it would not have spun but showed that the tub needed to be drained first. I have no doubt the control was faulty.

As for the dome assembly on the tub, there is no filter. It just needs to be cleaned periodically.