Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have GE washing machine model WPSB 8060B, about 11 years

Customer Question

I have GE washing machine model WPSB 8060B, about 11 years old. It is all pushbutton control (no knobs). The problem is, it will not spin. It fills, agitates, drains etc fine. When it should spin, it clicks, and the tub will turn just a little, then stop. Every couple of minutes during a spin cycle, it might try and turn again, but it never makes even a half revolution. The tub is free to spin by hand (it is not bound up), and I am pretty sure it is "trying" and the clutch/timer are ok. I am not sure if there is a belt involved, maybe the belt is worn and/or slipping. Even while it should be spinning, if I manually spin the tub, it will not continue to spin... that is, I can't help it get started. The fact that the tub moves a little (about an eighth of a turn) when it should start to spin tells me its "trying".

Suggestions appreciated.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Does it agitate well even with a heavy load? Is the clicking a rapid clicking from the bottom of the machine, near the front?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it seems to agitate just fine. no unusual noises. WHen it starts to spin, I hear a single "click" that I assuem is a clutch kicking in. (I bypassed the lid switch with a magnet so I can observe the tub). I do not hear any repetitive clicking. It also sounds like the motor is running fine, revving up to speed.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, have you looked at the belt to see if it is tight or glazed? It is accessed by releasing the clips between the front panel and the top of the washer, about 4" in from the sides.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have NOT looked at the belt. I hope that is the problem. I will check it in a few minutes.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, the motor has 4 bolts on the bottom of it that will allow the motor to slide. You can adjust the belt tension that way. Let me know what happens, please.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok--- here's the deal. Cover of washer removed... the belt seems to be in great shape, and reasonably tight. When I set the thing to "spin", the shaft of the motor is clearly running, but the pully wheel on the motor shaft that drives the belt is not spinning. It will move if I (safely) move the belt with a screwdriver (the pully is not frozen up), but that pully wheel is not spinnining with the motor. Clutch?

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Yes, or the pin is broken or missing. If you remove the belt and pull the clutch off, do you see a small, hollow metal pin in the motor shaft that the clutch rests against?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

looking....

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX being there or not will be the direction key....
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok, I must loosen the motor to get the belt off. The clutch is VERY hot, too hot to touch.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Yes, with the motor shaft turning inside it, it will be. You can loosen the four nuts on the bottom of the motor, slide it forward and the belt will come off.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I loosened the four nuts. slide the motor back, removed the belt.

Next I removed the spring clip from the bottom of the shaft. I expected the clutch/pully to then slide off the shaft, but it did not. I don't know how to remove the clutch, and I am not sure where to look for the round hollow pin

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Oh sorry, there is a clip on the bottom of the motor shaft that will need to come off to allow the clutch to drop down.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

OK, I took the entire motor assy out and have it on the counter top. I removed the clip at the END of the shaft, but still the pully etc would NOT pull of the shaft. THere is one of those "C clips" that runs around the shaft. I removed that C clip, then the pully wheel (which is part of a metal bell housing) slid right off. Under that bell housing are two sets of "brakes" (I guess) that I assume when engaged "lock" the bell housing with the pully to rotate with the shaft. Those locking arms are secure to the shaft (they turn with it). I am thinking those brake arms are not engaging to "hold" the housing /pully tight to the shaft.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Well, there is a little pin that goes through the motor shaft that sits right in the middle of those pieces. Is that pin gone?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Well, I looked closely under good light, and I do not see any sort of pin or a hole for a pin. The shaft, with this mechanism over it, is about one inch diamter and smooth and shiney. Attached to that are six little "ears", three on each side. The two end ears have little teflon caps, and middle one is just bare metal. One "brake shoes" sit on top of each set of three ears. That mechanism on the shaft is absolutely tight with the shaft. It is rock solid.The part of the brake that would be like the brake shoe on a car is smooth and has a black powder build up. THe inside of the bell housing that those shoes contact is also "slippery" with black powder.

I am thinking if I clean all that up and get rid of the "slippery" powder then I may be OK>

ALSO-- when I removed the belt, even though the belt was tight, it had a major cut nearly all the way through, so I suspect even though it was tight to the touch, under the heavy load it was probably slipping.

I susupect if I clean everything up, replace the belt, I might be in business.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
If there is a lot of dust in the clutch assembly, you may get away with cleaning it. Does your clutch look like this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

"almost" like that. I have those four little white ears which I described as the teflon ears and in between each pair, a middle tab. However, mine does not have the "u shaped" channel horizontal through the shaft.. I suspect that is where the pin would be. Mine almost looks like the entire assy is "sweated" to motor shaft, or even welded... probably sweated. But it is rock solid with the shaft. The two brake shoes "float"
on the ears and you can lift them right off.

Do those "brake shoes" just engage/disengage based on centrifugal force? that is what it looks like to me. I suspect if I get the belt replaced so its not slipping, and clean the parts up good to get rid of all the slippery powder, I will be in business. The mating surface between the shoe and the housing are both slippery with powder.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Can you verify your model number because it should look exactly like that.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Double checked, my model number from mfg label is WPSB8060BOWW. The machine was purchased in Aug 2002 and has never had the cover removed until tonight.

I just photographed my part, but can't figure out how to attache the file.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Hmm, they may have changed the clutch, the part number is XXXXX according to GE lookup. Let me know what happens after cleaning up the clutch.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes, it will be mid day tomorrow before I can fiddle with it and get a replacement belt. Thanks for yoru help tonight

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
You are very welcome. If it still does not work, that clutch will likely need to be replaced and is available below.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Clutch Assembly <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I disassembled, cleaned, lubricated and reassembled and reinstalled the clutch. I ran it without the belt, and I could see the pully wheel turning during the spin cycle which it was not doing before. There seemed to be a lot of "crud" in the clutch that I believe was preventing it from engaging.

I also installed a new drive belt, and now everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
That is great news, very well done!