Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

How do I get the top off of a Jenn Aire model JDS8850AAW?

Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

So this particular cooktop is not going to be easy to remove because the control panel is on the front above the door. The first thing you need to do is pull all the knobs off on the control panel. Unplug the oven and remove all the screws going into the control panel that were behind the knobs. Open the oven door and remove the screws coming in from the bottom of the control panel. Now pull the oven out completely. There may be one screw on the left and right side of the control panel you need to remove and the control panel should pull off. This will give you access to the screws holding the cooktop down in the front. Remove all the screws around the back, the left and right side, and the front under the cooktop. The cooktop should then pull up and off.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Do we have to take the bolts out under the burners?

there shouldn't be any bolts under the burners on this unit from what I'm seeing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I guess I mean the nuts around the pipes that come up from underneath.

You shouldn't need to remove those just to remove the cooktop. It doesn't say anything about any nuts in the service manual and I don't even remember any nuts so I'm not sure what you are talking about.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

There are nuts that attach to the pipes that come up into the burners. This didn't help at all. I took out all the screws I could find and still can't get the darn thing off. I am trying to put the control panel back on after replacing the motherboard, and thought it would be much easier to get it back on and get everything reconnected, if I could get the cook top off, to see what I'm doing.

Aye, there is no reason to remove the cooktop just to replace the main control board. But there are no nuts that need to be removed on the burners. I see you gave me a negative rating. Was there something I could help you with to improve that rating?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Tell me how to get the control panel back on correctly without removing the cook top. Please.

You removed it without removing the cooktop did you not? It goes back on the exact same way. You angle the top in at about a 45 degree angle and you slide the control panel over the burner shafts. Push back and tuck the control panel top under the cooktop. Then seat it in place and just start screwing in the screws that go through the control panel into the burner valves to hold the control panel in place.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience: 7+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.