Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Maytag Quiet series 200 dishwasher will not start. No lights

Maytag Quiet series 200 dishwasher will not start. No lights at all on panel. Repairman came last year, and $75 dollars later, it worked for about a month.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Do you have a meter to test voltage and/or continuity with? What did the repairman do when out last time?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have a meter. Repairman did same last time out, about a year ago.

As stated, it worked for about a month, then ceased. Only the lock light came on. suspect it is the panel

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, lock light was on last time but this time no lights at all are on, correct?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, can you remove the lower access panel from under the door and on the RH side there is a very small box. The incoming power should be connected in this box. Can you inspect the connections for trouble and if they look good, test for 120 VAC, please?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for that electrical box is shown as number 21 below. Let me know what you find, please.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Box looks like that, will pull off cover and test

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX 120 VAC between black and white wire, please.
Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
I am right here, sorry about the ads. I will not leave you, I promise. Just reply through this thread.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

How do I test? Do I pull off the wire nuts? Need more infor.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
No, you should be able to poke the meter leads into the wire nuts, as long as they can touch any metal in the wire nuts.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I have a small white tool with red & black wire - red light., Light does not come on when I put it in wire nuts.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, are you sure that is not a 12 volt tester for automotive use? Any numbers on the tool I can use to look it up to see?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it says 80-500V AC DC

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Great! So, just to be sure, if you plug it into a wall outlet, does the light go on?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, Light goes on

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, nice work. So that means that you have verified that power is not getting to the dishwasher. Is the dishwasher plugged into a wall outlet or hard wired into the electrical system? The plug in is usually under the sink if using a wall outlet.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hard wired into electrical system, on off switch under sink

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, and you have checked the breaker to be sure it is on?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Yes, and tried switch under sink in both positions

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, so here is what we know. You have tested the power into the dishwasher and did not get a reading. Testing an outlet proves the meter works, so that means that, for some reason, the power is not getting to the dishwasher from the breaker. So, check all wall outlets to be sure there is not a ground fault outlet that has tripped. If all outlets look good, you will need to get an electrician to look at the breaker box, or even the switch under the sink, for trouble. The dishwasher is not at fault at this time since it is not getting power.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I really jammed the probes into the wire nuts, and now I get a red light

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, great! The connection must have been off just enough. So, now let's try a real simple test. With the power off to the dishwasher (at the switch under the sink is sufficient), use a hair dryer to heat the touch pad until very warm (not so hot to damage plastic, though), rub over each button firmly a few times. Then, turn power back on. Any difference in behavior?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No change.

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Okay, so that means the main control is likely faulty. That would explain why it reset when the tech was out last time, too. I would recommend replacing the control, accessed by removing the screws from around the inner door and separating the panels. The control will simply unplug and plug in, so replacement is very easy. The correct control for your model is pictured and available below.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Control <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I also saw that I have been charged twice by Just Answer, since I had to go back in and start the conversation again. Can you drop the second charge completely?

Thanks

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Oh, of course, it has already been sent in for a refund when I closed the other question. It will certainly be removed.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!