Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.

How do i get into area to replace lower over element on gs

How do i get into area to replace lower over element on gs563lxss2
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

If you open the oven door and remove the oven racks, there are 2 screws at the back going into the floor of the oven. Unscrew these screws and the floor will pull up at the back and then you can pull the floor out. From that point you'll see a metal heat shield over the burner and igniter that you just need to remove and then you have access to the igniter for replacement.

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try this and get back to you

OK sounds great!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My oven is has no seams in it at all....Ido i have to pull out the entire oven and how do i do that.

No seams in it? I'm not sure what you mean? I don't believe I mentioned any seams. I said you need to remove the screws going into the floor inside the oven toward the back. You do NOT need to pull the oven out other than to unplug it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess i was not clear....There are no screws in the oven floor. the only screws in this oven hold the upper element.

Above is a diagram for your oven. Part 38 shows the screws that you need to remove.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is not the correct diagram of my oven..My oven is like a washing machine tub. All one piece. No separete floor.. The sides, floor,back and top is piece of medal.

This is the diagram for your model that you gave me. I've looked it up on several sites just to confirm now. So unless the model you gave me isn't correct, the diagram is right. Below is a link so you can see the diagram breakdown for yourself and you see I used your model number to look it up.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is the same link i used to find the part. I see what you say but this is not what my oven looks.......The only way to get to the element it seems to me is to come at it from underneath the oven....You cannot get to it form the back either..........The model number on the plate is GS563lxss but all model numbers at AppliancePros add a number (1,2 or 3) after the ss.

I can give you a different link to another place as well and you'll see it's the same diagram.

CLICK HERE to see Sears link

The number 1,2,3 after the SS makes no different. It just means that the oven has a software update.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I guess I will have to have a local tech come out and see if he can figure it out...

So possibly There is really only one other thing you can check. One some of the higher end Whirlpool models that are slide in, the entire oven pulls out and there is an access panel on the right side of the oven to pull the element out through the right. Now if your model number is XXXXX that is not going to be the case. I've never seen an oven made by Whirlpool that has a solid cavity without a floor pan and the diagrams don't suggest that this unit is any different. But I'm not there, so I can only go off of the information that pulls up for the model.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This must be rare. I guarentee you that this is a one piece oven and I guess the whole oven shell must come out...That's over my skill level so I will call someone out........Thanks for the help

The whole oven shell would not come off. There has never been any model oven from any manufacturer that that is the case.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If that's the case, then access must be from underneath.....

I appreciate your help and thanks.....I'll give you a great Smiley Face

Good bye

Alright, well I do wish you the best and I'm sorry I can't help anymore. If you're sure the floor won't come out, then I'd remove the back panel to see if that comes out. And if there is not access from the back, then I'd go from the bottom.