Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Gemini gas range. The oven isnt working properly.

I have a Gemini gas range. The oven isn't working properly. It doesn't come up to heat or takes a really long time. Once it comes up to heat, it won't stay properly heated. The igniter is working properly and the burner is also working great. I am thinking there must be a valve that turns the gas on and off to the burner and this is where the problem lies.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.

It sounds like your oven igniter below the floor inside your oven is just starting to fail and needs to be ordered and replaced.  Oven igniters last about 6-8 years under normal use before they tend to start failing.  They need to draw at least 3.2 amps or else they won't open the gas valve correctly and it will either crack the valve open, or open and shut the valve several times when it should just be holding open.  It doesn't matter if the igniter is glowing or not; just because it glows doesn't mean the igniter is drawing enough power to open the safety valve. The igniter is only about a $50 part and you can replace it yourself if you want to remove the racks inside the oven and then remove the floor to access it.  Otherwise it will cost about $150-175 to call someone and replace it for you. 

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have already taken the racks and cover off of the burner assembly. Can I order this part through you and have it shipped to me?

So we don't actually sell parts, but you can order the igniter from the link below. You will need to cut the wires and splice in the new igniter because Whirlpool bought out Maytag so the parts are now Whirlpool and are somewhat universal. Either way, below is a link to the igniter.

CLICK HERE for igniter

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do I leave the connection bare or should I put marettes or something on it?

The igniter will come with 2 ceramic wire nuts. You'll need to splice the wires and use those wire nuts so that there are no issues.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX ordered the igniter

No problem. Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!