Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

I have a maytag performa pav2300 washer. when the machinhe

I have a maytag performa pav2300 washer. when the machinhe start to agitate it makes a loud growling/ grinding noise. Agitater moves and seems to lock in place fine it will spin and drain fine. Although when it stops it makes a loud squell noise. ( I figure its the brake, which is a seperate issue??)
Hi I,m John I will help you with the noise problem .
Does the noise come from the rear right corner ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the squeeling is RR corner, The grinding noise sounds like its under the agitater and if I hold onto the agitater i can stop it from moving with little effort.

The noise if its from the RR corner thats where the pump is located, the bearing is worn out and can also cause the noise in the spin cycle because of the shinny belt , I would replace the water pump and the belt, clean off all the pulleys with a wire brush before you replace the belt this is the water pump .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just to be clear the water pump s bad bearing will cause the noise when the wash/ agitation cycle is on? While it spins and drains it is quiet until it comes to a halt when the squeel happens which is probably the pump and belt?

Yes that water pump can cause both problems, replace the pump and belt and if you still have the noise in the spin cycle let me know please .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Changed pump and belt noise still occurs while "washing/ agitating" and it still squeels when drum stops

I spun the old water pump by hand and it never made a noise or sounded funny

Does the tub also spin slowy ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Drum does not spin, agitater does back and forth slowly, with grinding noise.

Drum spins fast when draining water

Ok, you can return the water pump and keep the belt, if thats whats happening replace the drive pulley, open this link it will show you what to replace and how to replace them .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will look at the link and go for parts tomorrow. Just to make sure I am being clear enough. I fill the machine with water and it starts to agitate. When it does that I hear this grinding noise. Drum doesnt spin but agitater moves back and forth.

While spinning to drain everything seems normal, drum spins and when it stops it makes a loud sqeak/ squeel noise that happens only for a second. This problem has been around for a while, I always thought it was a brake issue of some sort where a disc gets glazed and makes noise . Kinda like a car would.

That is a break problem , follow this link for the part and instructions on how to replace the brake.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I Took apart the tranny pulley and the needle bearing doesnt look that bad, although it is small so its hard to say. I just dont want to replace the wrong part. I would hate to replace this stuff and find out its the tranny, but I imagine since it spins the tranny is ok?

I will be working on taking the brake apart now.

Your right if it washes ok and spins ok the tranny is fine, the brake is whats causing the noise at the end of the spin cycle ., replacing the brake should fix the noise problem .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No question about the brake, I was more concerned about the grinding noise while agitating. The drive pulley bearings is what you say is the issue just want to make sure that that will fix the issue

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! The grinding noise is the clothes auger assembly. It is the top part of the agitator and has plastic little "ears" that wear and cause that grinding noise. That part is sold as an assembly and will pull off if lifted sharply with a bit of force. The new one will lock into place when pushed down over the lower agitator. The part you need is below and is shown as number 1 in the breakdown.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the info,I have the washer apart to replace the brake so the agitator is already out. The bottom part rotates and locks in fine by hand. If it is worn and causeing the grinding will it still lock in place like this?

This grinding noise is coming from that area but John figures its the transmission drive pulley and bearing and I have it on order. I dont really want to replace uneeded parts is there any way to be sure of the problem?

If it is the agitaor andI cant get one for a day or so, can I still wash clothes even if it makes the grinding noise?

It will be easy to tell. Remove the top part of the agitator and start a cycle. If the noise is still there, the issue is with the pulley kit. If it is gone, it is with the auger. Either way, if you have the old needle bearing style kit, it needs to be replaced with the new style. That will be an easy way to tell.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!