Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have an older Cuisinart blender (CB 9BJ2). I have noticed

I have an older Cuisinart blender (CB 9BJ2). I have noticed that the pulse button does not work and there is an electrical smell when I use the blender. I would appreciate your suggestions
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Does it sound differently than it used to? Is the smell present during all settings?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thanks Kelly

I do not remember the smell but honestly it has been awhile since I have used this blender -- 2 years. Additionally, the pulse button does not work.

Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.
Does the unit make any sound when the pulse button is pushed or is it silent?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

ok just tested the pulse button

no sound when pushed -- the red light by the button does come on and blinks

Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.
Okay, so the switch is likely okay. That leaves the motor and the shift solenoid. Since there is an odor present, I suspect the motor may be getting a dual voltage or may be failing. I have looked and there are very few parts available for this unit. The parts that are available are mostly the jar and its components. I have posted a link to what is available below. You would need to disassemble the machine and use an electrical test meter to diagnose if the motor is indeed bad, but either way, there are no electrical parts available for this unit. It may be time to look at replacing it.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

CLICK HERE

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Thanks again Kelly

Since I have no way to use an electrical test meter (providing I could disassemble the blender), it seems my best bet is to replace.

Given your knowledge of blenders and their repairs. What blender would you recommend?

THANKS!

Expert:  Kelly replied 12 months ago.
I am a big fan of Kitchen Aid but they are about the same as far as problems go. Kitchen Aid has always been at the top of the Consumer Reports list and have a great line to choose from.
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!