Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

have a fridgidaire top load washer model CWS3600; spin cycles

have a fridgidaire top load washer model CWS3600; spin cycles don't spin but tub often starts to turn if i help start the spin by hand. In the spin cycle the motor turns/belt doesn't and the lid lockout switches test out ok. Belt has been replaced. Can you tell what to look for if failed
transmission, bearing, belt pulley tensioner.....namely what do you think is the problem and how to inspect to verify. Thanks
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! Did you notice any oil on the cabinet interior when you replaced the belt? Did replacing the belt make any difference at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No oil but the transmission outer case on bottom half was rusty but not the top. The new belt made no difference. It chewed through one new belt as motor turned.

Okay, the rust is normal, thank you. So was the old belt chewed up? Can you manually turn the large pulley under the tub easily in both directions or does it lock in one direction?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes the old belt was chewed up. By the way it agitate ok. Sometimes i believe the large pulley turns easier in one direction than the other. I think its intermittent/

Okay, well if the new belt got chewed up right away, the tub is not able to turn as it should. Do you see any stains on the interior of the cabinet about the same level as the bottom of the tub?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No stains noticeable

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No stains noticable, or oil anywhere inside cabinet

Okay, thank you. So how long did it take before the new belt was chewed up? Also, the belt was on the pulleys correctly, right? Not off track or rubbing anywhere that you can see?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

New belt # XXXXX was ate up on 2nd wash with it. Motor pulley ate through one spot and looked destroyed like the first belt. I also think the bearings are noisy and sometimes hear a clicking sound out of one, it that helps. .Belt #3 was stuck on first wash on spin cycle and looked like the motor pulley would have chewed through if i hadn't stopped the spin cycle

Okay, that does help. The lower bearing and centrifugal spring are in the square box at the bottom of the transmission. I suspect that assembly is damaged and the transmission will need to replaced. The correct one for your model is pictured and available below, along with a video showing how that repair is done.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Forgive my slow computer, the clicking occurs when I turn the trasmission by hand and is low and intermittant but there. If transmission needs replaced on 14 yr old washer is it more cost effective to replace with a good used machine or look for a good used part. thanks

At 14 years old, I would definitely not replace the transmission but replace the machine. At that age, you have almost doubled the life expectancy of 8 years.