Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have a jenn-air stove top model number JEC9536. A dry pot

Customer Question

I have a jenn-air stove top model number JEC9536. A dry pot was left on the bottom right dual element and it stopped working. the warming element above it also stopped working. Is there a fuse or something that we can replace?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Appliance Guru :

Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Appliance Guru :

Just let me know when you are here

Customer:

i'm here

Appliance Guru :

Ok thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the rear right element is not working correct? All others are

Customer:

no it is the front right element - a dual burner. I think the warmer (back rear) doesn't work either.

Appliance Guru :

Ok one sec

Customer:

ok, we just tested- the warmer is ok.

Customer:

Just the dual burner, the one that overheated, is broken

Appliance Guru :

Ok if just that one is not working the element is bad. There is no external sensor for that element and you likely burned out the internal temp sensor or the element on the burner. You need to replace the burner

Customer:

what is the part number for that? Also how do you separate the cooktop from the box holding the innards?

Appliance Guru :

What are the last 3 letters after the 6

Customer:

ABS

Appliance Guru :

You need to remove the cooktop from the counter top and remove the couple screws then the glass top is just stuck onto the metal frame and the frame will separate off from the glass

Appliance Guru :

ok one sec

Customer:

What do the couple screws look like and how many are there? It looks like three on each side? is that correct?

Appliance Guru :

Yes and maybe one in the center

Appliance Guru :

74008228 part number

Appliance Guru :

All I ask is that you rate my assistance before leaving thanks!

Customer:

None visable in center

Appliance Guru :

ok some models do not have it as there was a series change

Customer:

can you wait until we have it open?

Appliance Guru :

It is easiest if you take the whole unit out. Sometimes you can leave it in as the metal frame is what keeps it from dropping through.

Appliance Guru :

I have to get going really soon. I got a couple minutes

Customer:

we have the who unit out. is there anything tricky about replacing the burner unit?

Appliance Guru :

No nothing special at all the glass is basically just stuck onto the metal frame so once you have the glass separated from the metal frame you will see the burner placement and mounts. Just change out the burner and swap the wires over to the correct terminals. That's it

Appliance Guru :

Get a putty knife to get the sticky glue to separate the glass

Customer:

my son wants to know if there is a resistance test we can do to test this burner?

Customer:

Also, can we continue to use the rest of the stove with this burner pulled out?

Customer:

I think you are earning an excellent if you can answer these too.

Appliance Guru :

You can go from Tan to Red or Yellow to Red.....if it is open its junk.

Appliance Guru :

They are the colored wires going to that burner

Customer:

what do you mean by "open"?

Appliance Guru :

No continuity or infinite ohms

Customer:

running to get the tester.

Customer:

he is just starting 2nd year engineering.

Appliance Guru :

I see, I wish I had moret time, but I have to get going

Customer:

it has about .03 ohms resistance for both

Appliance Guru :

If you have power connected to it....carefully turn the burner on and go from the Red wire on the burner connection to the Tan Wire. Test to see if you have 240 volts to it. If you do not you have a bad right front control switch

Appliance Guru :

Make that test and get back to me I will check back in just a bit. I have to leave, but I will check back

Customer:

ok. thanks for all the help! will let you know later

Customer:

I flipped the breaker to the stove top (turning it back on) and tested to make sure the stove had power by turning on the warmer burner. It turned on. But when testing the dead burners terminals there was no voltage accross the red and tan leads. I then tested my voltage reader by sticking its leads in a wall outlet, it read 118 volts.

Customer:

are you back yet?

Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience: Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
I am back....Is it 240 at the wall? It has to be.
Please get back to me
Yes...but I can not go to chat mode. Just reply back here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it is 120 at the outlet he tested his meter at. The stove top has 240. Since no electricity registered on the input lines (red & tan, yellow & tan), does it mean that something else is broken as well?

The element is likely fine. The switch for the front burner is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok - good to know. we will order a new one.

Also, in the element we accidentally crumbled some of the stuff the heating coils are on. do we need to get a new element now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am having difficulty finding the part number for the switch. The wiring diagram refers to it as "custom electronic" right front control. Any ideas?

12002121 is the part number