Jon
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
60802242

ASKO D3250- Dishwasher fills and drains but will not move past

Customer Question

ASKO D3250- Dishwasher fills and drains but will not move past this beginning cycle.
If I start it over on a new program, the first thing it does is drain, then fill, then stop (makes 4 clicks) and then flashes (delicate cycle) troubleshoot says that means there is a water inlet problem. I took apart the tubing that appears to feed the spray arms in the bottom part of the basin, it was clear, took the spray arms off, they of course are clear also. What to do next?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for using this service. Please be logged in to rate my assistance when we are done. Rating 3-5 is good, but 1-2 is bad so talk with me first.

Does it seem that there is water in the basin of the unit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the basin fills as it should, then it clicks 4 times and then stops and gives the signal its not getting water. If I shut it down and restart it, it drains that water out, then refills, clicks 4 times, etc, etc

Remove the bottom panel...check to see if the main motor is humming and not running.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's not. All that happens is I hear 4 clicks. I can't tell where they;re coming from, but I have tried several times to cycle it and have tried tapping on different things to see if something would go when it's clicking. But nothing. I took the water pressure switch off and blew in it and it seemed ok, hard to tell but I could feel it moving inside, then put it back on. Still nothing. I don't know which sensor lets it know how much water is in the machine, but I'm assuming that's whats wrong. It acts like it doesn't know there's water in it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
only got one suggestion
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an authorized Asko service technician and I can help you today. This sounds like a float/ flood switch fault.

The water inlet problem for these model dishwashers is rather vague. And can indicate a fault or error with the water inlet valve or any other part of the eater flow system.

What I have found more times then not when the dishwasher fills then stops and immediately drains is a fault with the float/ flood switch. The flood switch is under the dishwasher in the drain pan. And if the flood switch senses that there is any water in the drain pan the flood switch will activate the drain pump and the dishwasher will drain the water out of the tub of the dishwasher.

The easiest way to confirm the flood switch has been activated is to either remove the dishwasher and tilt it forward at about 45 degree angle and see if any water comes out of the bottom drain pan. Under the dishwasher. If there is water that comes then keep it tilted until the water stops. Then remove the back lower panel to the dishwasher and access the drain pan area. Take a look and see if there is any other water there? There will most likely be more water. Dry it up with some towels and make sure the flood switch is clicking when you lift it up and down. The flood switch with be the white foam disc in the front of the machine just in front of the main wash motor.

After the water is all dried up put everything back together and test it out again and see if it runs the full cycle. If it does then you know for sure that you had water in the drain pan. Then just keep a close eye on the dishwasher as you run the next few cycles. If the error comes back do the same thing and check the drain pan. If you have water again then you will most likely have a leak somewhere letting the water into the drain pan area.

If after drying everything for the first time and running it again and the error comes back the first time then we also know the flood switch was not the problem and will have to do some more diagnostic checking.

Please run those checks and get back to me here with what you find.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Jon,

I have the dishwasher out and can try what you said. I have the front and rear panels off and it appears at one time there was a small amount of water in the pan because you can see where water and soap dried on the pan directly under what I think is the pump. There's a round, probably 1/2 inch tube that's part of the pump, that looks like that's where the water came from because it has the same dried soap on it.

I should tell you, after the dishwasher fills, it doesn't drain immediately, it just sits there full of water and the code starts flashing. You have to shut the power button off, turn it back on and restart a cycle, then it drains and then refills, then sits there full of water with the code flashing.

I will try what you said later today after work. Thanks for getting back to me. I think you can help me figure this out.

Thanks again

Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again for the reply.

yes, I am glad you could see that the water has gotten into the drain pan. And you are most likely right about the hose to the sump motor/ circulator motor being the cause for the leak. But if your machine is not immediately draining after it finishes filling with water for the first time then you dont need to change the flood switch. In fact, if the dishwasher fills completely then doesnt do anything, just stops, then you need a new motor/ circulation sump motor. The motor has likely seized and is not working. Which would be why the water just lays in the motor until it finds its way out through the hose into the drain pan.

Here is the part info you need for your machine.

http://www.greatplainsapplianceparts.com/order/Parts%20Manuals/Asko/ASKO-Dishwasher/D3250%20(DW20.3)%20BL.pdf

Click on the above link to open and view the exploded view diagrams of your machine. On page 11 you will see part number 303, the circulation motor. That is the part you need. That is the motor that send the water to the wash arms to wash the dishes in your machine. If that part is just humming or not doing anything at all the dishwasher will just sit there after it fills doing nothing when it should be washing.

Just order the part either directly from them or at

http://www.repairclinic.com/vwo1/PartDetail/Circulation-Pump/8078471/1488941?replacedManufacturerPartNumber=8073813

Please get back to me here if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more. And please remember to positively rate my performance below this chat with ok service or better service if you feel that I have helped to answer your questions.

Thank you.
Jon, Appliance Technician
Experience: Appliance Service Technician with 10+ years experience.
Expert:  Jon replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. it is greatly appreciated.

Please get back to me here at any time if you have any other questions or concerns and I will help you more for no additional charge.

Thanks again.