Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!

my electric maytag dryer shuts off after about 5 min of running

my electric maytag dryer shuts off after about 5 min of running dryer not plugged gets real hot shuts off will start back up after i leave it sit a few min but does same thing right naway
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 11 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. I'll be helping you with your problem today.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

where do i go from checking to see if plugged and it isnt

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

model number is XXXXX

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Thank you! I see that is a Kenmore dryer, the model number helped. When the dryer stops, if you try to start it back up right away, does it make a humming or buzzing sound?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it doesnt make any noise at all

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Hmmm, okay. When it does run, it seems to get very hot, does that include the cabinet as well as the drum interior?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

the top of cabinet gets a little warm not real hot

Expert:  Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Great, thank you! The only thing that has a thermal type fuse that needs to reset is the motor. If the motor gets too hot, the thermal protector will open, cutting power to the motor until it cools. Since it is not humming or buzzing, I suspect the motor may be covered in lint and not actually faulty. I believe you will only need to clean the interior of the dryer out to restore normal operation. That will likely remedy your dryer issue. To access the motor, unplug the dryer. Remove the lint screen and then the two screws that will now be exposed. Pull the entire top of the machine slightly forward and it will then hinge up. At the back of the front panel, at the top on each side, is a 5/16" screw, remove both of them. Mark and unplug the door switch wires and pull the front panel totally off and set it aside. Take note of belt routing and release the belt from the motor pulley and take the drum out. Clean the interior as good as you can, especially the area around the motor. Once clean, reassemble and see what happens. You should be just fine but let me know either way, please.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!