Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Brian I have a Maytag Performa PBB2255GEW that wasnt keeping

Brian I have a Maytag Performa PBB2255GEW that wasn't keeping anything cold. Suspect the freezer door was left open. Anyway, based on your answer to someone else with a similar problem, they were advised that since the fan and motor were still running it was probably the overload relay for the compressor. I purchased the one for my model and we replaced it. When we plugged in the refrigerator everything seemed to be working fine and the fan and compressor were running. It seemed like the freezer was starting but not much up top.l We left it to wait for it to get cold, came back and the fan wasn't working and the compressor was extremely hot. Does this sound like it is the compressor and if so will I need to replace again the overload relay and now the run capacitator too?

Hello from our service,

My name is Chas, I am so happy to help you today.
Before we get started, I would like to help us get on the same page so that our interaction will go smoothly.
I might give you an answer immediately, or ask you a question. Either way, we are likely to be in a question and answer format, so you will need to click reply to expert if:
a. You want to add detail.
b. Your question was not fully answered.
c. You want to ask further questions.

Negative ratings do not cover site problems, delays, or anything else on the site that might annoy you, as experts are only involved in trying to answer your questions.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction.

On the compressor, does it say Techmsah or have a picture of a Blue Indian?

Hello,My name is XXXXX XXXXX be helping you today. Give me a few minutes to pull up your model. thanks .Be right back.
I see Chas picked this up , would you like to work with him ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I really wanted to use you because I was referring back to an answer that you gave to someone else that I found on here about the very same issue. He asked me a question though so I answered him.

well he knows what he's doing so if you want go ahead and talk to Chas. if he cant help then I will try. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay

Again what is the compressor you have on your unit? Is it a Techumsah or have a blue indian on it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
There is a blue Indian in the corner do you want the number too and which number?
Your problem is a major one, your unit has a Techmsah compressor in it, Maytag used these in a number of Performa Fridges, I have replaced over 100 of these over the course of the last 6 years, Maytag purchsed many of these compressors and they were terribly made, the start windings in them go out, Changing the capacitor will not help it, as it is only hooked to the run windings of the compressor. Replacing this compressor will cost over $500 to do, you most likely if you listen near the compressor a hum and a click every few minutes. If you decide to replace the compressor you can call A&E Factory Service to have it done at 1.800.905.9505 as they are an authorized servicer for this make of fridge. You cannot replace this yourself as you have to have a license to do it...

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Click the continue conversation link if you would like to continue this conversation. If you are done and rate a 1 or 2 star please consider using the "continue conversation" link and telling me what more I can do or what more you would have liked that was within my power so that I possibly give you that information or help me improve my customer satisfaction rating. . .

Bonuses are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Why does it take a license to do it? What if someone were handy? How much is a compressor was the $500 with it installed?

You have to have a lincene to reover the refridgerent by law on a refrigerator.. The replacement compressor is about $325 and the labor to install it, which would be between $175 to $200, if you wish to attempt it yourself you can click on the blue link below to order the complete kit minus the refridgerent.

Click here for the correct part for your unit.

Repair Clinic offers a 365 day no question ask return policy, so if the repair does not work you can return the part to them for a full refund, yes this even includes electronic parts that many other part suppliers will not allow to be returned.

Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech